Tyler Honeycutt gets right elbow X-rayed

Sophomore forward Tyler Honeycutt drives past the Oregon defense during UCLA’s 67-59 win on Saturday. On Tuesday, Honeycutt underwent a precautionary X-ray on his right elbow, which he said has been ailing him for weeks.

By Matt Stevens

Correction: The original version of this article contained an error. The UCLA men’s basketball team shot for around 35 minutes Tuesday.

Sophomore forward Tyler Honeycutt had a precautionary X-ray performed on his right elbow Tuesday because of pain he said he’s been feeling for weeks.

The results of the X-ray were not available as of press time, but Honeycutt is expected to play Thursday night against California.

“Some weeks it will really hurt a lot,” Honeycutt said.

“Lately it’s been that when I’m going out to shoot, if it’s not warmed up, I can barely get the ball to the rim.”

On the positive side, Honeycutt said that his shoulder is feeling close to 100 percent weeks after he injured it against Montana State.

He added that he has been playing through his elbow injury for weeks using a steady dose of painkillers.

“It’s been really weak as far as squeezing stuff and pushing stuff,” Honeycutt said. “It’s just a sharp pain. … But it’s a nagging injury, so I want to make sure everything is good with it.”

Honeycutt’s elbow issues add to a growing list of bumps and bruises for the Bruins.

Junior guard Lazeric Jones continues to nurse a right finger injury, while freshman center Joshua Smith is still recovering from a minor injury to his thumb.

“Is (Honeycutt) 100 percent physically fit? No, but that’s probably true for a lot of players,” coach Ben Howland said.

Wanna get away?
After their victory on Saturday within Matthew Knight Arena, which opened its doors for the first time on Thursday, UCLA players shouted and stomped their way down the tunnel and spilled into the locker room to celebrate their road sweep.

Howland described his team as “really, really happy” to win ““ another testament to improved team chemistry.

After getting the Bruins’ first two road wins this year, Honeycutt posited that the team plays better away from Pauley Pavilion.

In addition to the sweep of the Oregon schools, UCLA did have one of its best efforts of the year at then-No. 4 Kansas, but it has since gone 2-2 in the last four games.

Junior guard Malcolm Lee, who poured in 18 points against the Ducks, wasn’t sold on the idea, but said he understood how Honeycutt came to his hypothesis.

“When we play away, we just feel like everyone’s against you,” Lee said. “And that just makes you play that much harder.”

Stuck in Eugene
Howland said that the Bruins were stuck in Oregon for several hours Sunday night as they waited for fog to clear in San Francisco.

The team had a flight scheduled for 7:52 p.m. on Sunday, but that flight was delayed until 11:40 p.m.

“It was one long trip,” Howland said.

The team shot around for about 35 minutes Tuesday and will conduct a full practice Wednesday in preparation for Thursday night’s game against the Bears, which tips off at 7:30 p.m. at Pauley.

Matt Stevens