Revision to English major will provide long overdue balance in curriculum material

By Avni Nijhawan

Had it not been for my high school English classes and visits to the library, I almost certainly never would have read anything by Chinua Achebe, Ernest Hemingway or even Mark Twain during college.

No, I’m not studying math ““ I’m actually majoring in English.

When I decided to study English at UCLA, I assumed there would be relatively equal amounts of American, British and other world literature. So imagine my surprise when I saw I needed to take three classes in British literature, two on Shakespeare, one on Chaucer and Milton, and none from the country I’m actually living in.

But good news is here. Finally, after more than a decade of deliberation, the English department has wisely revised the major to better incorporate authors from around the world and from the U.S.

The department will offer the same classes, but modify them to incorporate themes. For example, the three required survey classes on British literature will now include literature from all over the world and encompass broad themes, such as race and ethnicity, gender studies, imperial studies and critical theory.

As a result, students will have a great deal of freedom in deciding whether they want a particular focus in their major, and they will no longer be forced to study particular authors unless they want to.

While the new major doesn’t dismiss traditionally studied works, it does challenge the necessity of a particular canon. Yet the English department’s changes are hardly groundbreaking. Other universities made similar changes nearly 20 years ago, said the department’s vice chair, Professor Elizabeth DeLoughrey, who specializes in postcolonial literature from the Caribbean.

The current curriculum was developed in the 1950s, and UCLA is the only university with an author-based undergraduate English major according to Ali Behdad, professor and English department chair. The curriculum is badly lopsided, with required classes rooted in British literature, and it is quite possible to graduate without ever having taken a class on American literature. It seems that UCLA’s English major, until now, has remained not-so-subtly guided by a vestigial British empire.

The golden pedestal reserved for “dead white men” has been long contested in the academic community, and for good reason. While the canonical authors have undoubtedly produced brilliant works that are still relevant today the laser-focus they have received has marginalized too many authors who are no less important in the study of the English language.

The English major has also long been thought of as broad and is supposed to prepare students for a variety of careers. But many students might wonder whether studying Milton (currently a required class) is really helpful in their day-to-day life in journalism, public relations or law.

A class which delves in, say, environmental, gender and technology studies would have far more practical use for students pursuing all kinds of careers. The new major allows for a new perspective on old works as well ““ for example, a “global Shakespeare” class is currently on the table.

I love Shakespeare, but the rarity of a non-British author does make me feel a little boxed in, as well as ill-informed about the human experience outside of Britain.

As the new major will be more balanced, at least in theory, all classes will be smaller. The number of required courses has also been reduced, which is an unfortunate side effect of the budget crisis, but will allow students to graduate faster and/or double major.

One of the biggest problems in the English department is the inability to align courses with professors’ research specialties. Professors have been ready to teach in many different fields for years but have simply not had the classes to teach through. Luckily, classes will now fit professors’ needs instead of the other way around.

The revised major is long overdue, especially as English is the largest department in the humanities, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this number increased. As a senior English student, my only complaint is that I won’t be around to take advantage of it.

E-mail Nijhawan at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Avni Nijhawan