The New Year is a chance for students to resolve to make the world a better place

By Philip Zymet

As 2010 gave way to 2011, so too did past resolutions give way to new ones. Most were to lose weight, to become a kinder person or other assorted ideas of self-betterment. I propose a permanent resolution: a renewed commitment to making the world a better place as a country and a campus.

In 2010, a number of UCLA students campaigned for the DREAM Act or protested another fee hike. But while we’re fighting our own battles in 2011, we should also remember that the world extends beyond California, and beyond the U.S.

As most of the free world celebrated the beginning of a new year, those living in Nigeria and Egypt lived in fear following the New Year’s Eve terrorist attacks that rocked each nation. The Ivory Coast faces even tougher circumstances, with a despot refusing to give up power and a civil war on the horizon.

Glancing at any major news website will paint a clear picture that America’s media outlets have forgotten about these events before accurate death counts could be tallied or culprits apprehended. Even a statement from our president condemning the attacks could not make front page news.

Instead, of the two most significant events related to the new year, the Los Angeles Times graced its Jan. 1 electronic front page with a feature story about Bristol Palin’s purchase of a home in Arizona, truly earth-shattering news.

While most experts expected a Congress stalled by Republican filibuster, Obama worked with the opposing party to pass a tax bill, a health benefits bill for 9/11 aid workers, a nuclear arms reduction treaty with Russia and, most significantly, the end of “don’t ask, don’t tell.”

The president’s only failure during the session was his inability to get enough votes to secure the DREAM Act’s passage through the Senate. Obama worked with Republicans on the tax bill, opening the door to making the Bush tax cuts for the richest Americans permanent, and in return, passed major legislation before Republicans took control of Congress. He traded one negative for multiple positives.

Such a bipartisan approach to governance will be needed more than ever in 2011 if the country is to make the world a better place, let alone function properly.

While college students nationwide use the new year as an excuse to wake up with a hangover, U.S. soldiers continue to fight our country’s two wars.

As a left-leaning campus, we must remember to respect and work with our brothers and sisters on the other side of the political spectrum. Far too often do political conversations on campus become mired in blind loyalty to one’s party or ideological creed. It may be hard to admit, but conservatives have a legitimate claim when they oppose the irresponsible spending of liberals.

Although the country as a whole seems to be locked in partisan gridlock, when the people demand action, our government has no option but to listen.

It was because more did not demand action that we failed to prevent genocide in Darfur. We cannot allow history to repeat itself by letting the Ivory Coast fall into civil war. Hundreds have already been killed, and if the United Nations proves to be ineffectual, as it has in the past, it is our responsibility to stop unspeakable atrocities from occurring in yet another African country.

We have the power to get the ball rolling.

Imagine what would happen if every single UCLA student called their respective congressman, urging them to pass legislation which would authorize the use of protective forces in the Ivory Coast.

Perhaps it is too much to expect.
But would America really be worthy of being considered the greatest nation on Earth if so? It’s up to us to decide.

E-mail Zymet at [email protected]. Send general comments to [email protected].

Philip Zymet