Student conductors to lead UCLA Symphony winter concert

Jorge Uzcátegui, a doctoral student in orchestral conducting, leads the UCLA Symphony. (courtesy of Gabriela Uzcategui)

UCLA SYMPHONY
Wednesday, 8 p.m.
Schoenberg Hall, $5

By Elia Rogers

The story starts with Henry Shin, an orchestral conducting doctoral student in search of a particular brand of orange juice. His quest took him to Ralphs, where he discovered that the store did not carry this juice. Upon this discovery, he began to feel a burning desire in his gut.

Later that week, he was conducting a rehearsal in which he needed his symphony musicians to play a note with great intensity. He told them of the emotion he had felt earlier, hoping they could bring the same emotion to the note. After laughing, the musicians played the note exactly how it should have been played.

Now, after many rehearsals like this, the UCLA Symphony will perform on Wednesday at 8 p.m. in Schoenberg Hall.

Shin and Jorge Uzcátegui, a doctoral student in orchestral conducting, will conduct the symphony, comprised of roughly 70 musicians including students of all majors along with faculty members. Musicians from all over the UCLA community are invited to play for the symphony.

“Most of the musicians from the orchestra that are performing in this concert are non-music majors,” Uzcátegui said.

The performances will also include two soloists: Ambroise Aubrun, a second-year masters student in violin, and Lusine Marukyan, a second-year masters student in voice.

According to Shin and Uzcátegui, the symphony will perform five pieces, all of German or Italian influence. Shin will conduct the two pieces with soloists, while Uzcátegui will lead the orchestral pieces.

Professor Neal Stulberg, director of orchestral studies, compiled the program for the evening. However, Shin and Uzcategui can suggest performance pieces to Stulberg.

According to Shin, the selection of pieces is a collaborative effort.

“Generally the criteria goes from pieces that are both fun for the group to perform and presents some musical material that is good for their formation as musicians,” Uzcátegui said.

Shin said he does his best to bring emotion to the music. He said that the composers wrote these pieces because they had felt some sort of emotion, and as a conductor it is his job to interpret that emotion and bring it to the music.

“The music always wants to tell a story. There is always something personal about it,” Shin said.

After 10 weeks of rehearsing, Uzcátegui is looking forward to finally conducting these pieces in front of an audience.

“It’s a very exciting moment when you are right in front of the orchestra for the performance,” Uzcátegui said.

Kris Najarian, a second-year music student who plans to attend the concert on Wednesday, has worked with Shin and observed Uzcátegui. He said he is impressed by both of their conducting styles.

“We have two really advanced and accomplished conductors. I think they are going to make for a great concert,” Najarian said.

According to Shin, the real stars of the shows are the musicians.

“I am mostly excited for the students themselves playing in this symphony,” Shin said.
According to Uzcátegui and Shin, the inclusion of non-music majors is one of the best things about the symphony.

“It’s remarkable that they are able to perform a concert like that with this level of musicians considering it’s not even their primary area of concentration. … It shows their love of music,” Uzcátegui said.

Elia Rogers