Men’s soccer faces Northridge after difficulties scoring goals

Redshirt junior goalkeeper Brian Rowe makes a leaping save during UCLA’s 1-0 loss to Cal on Sunday. The Bruins were unable to convert for a goal despite firing off 25 shots against the Bears and will look to rebound against Cal State Northridge today.

MEN’S SOCCER
Cal State Northridge
Today, 7 p.m.
Northridge
Follow GameTracker on uclabruins.com

The No. 2 Bruins begin their stretch run with a midweek non-conference matchup against the CSUN Matadors.

By Chris Chen

In its past two matches against California, UCLA has mustered close to 50 shots.
The yield: one goal.

There are fewer things more frustrating than not being able to finish opportunities in front of the goal. For the Bruin men’s soccer team, these opportunities led to multiple shots clanking hollowly against the crossbar in its 1-0 loss to the Bears on Sunday and, ultimately, zero goals converted in 25 shot attempts.

Amends began at an uncommon Monday practice, where the team engaged in an intense scrimmage on a short, narrow pitch, with a particular focus on finishing those open looks.

The team looked winded, and the practice ended a bit earlier than usual, but it wasn’t the heavy gusts of wind that were punishing the team: After playing in two weekend matches, No. 15 UCLA (10-4-1, 5-2-0 Pac-10) will have little time to recover as it travels to Northridge to play the Matadors (2-11-2, 1-5-1 Big West).

“Quick turnarounds are always tough,” redshirt junior goalkeeper Brian Rowe said. “A lot of guys are sore. We’re just trying to utilize these recovery days to rest up and get on the road.”

Maybe fatigue is catching up. The team sat on the bleachers overlooking the practice pitch, perhaps analyzing the shots that once again ricocheted off the goalpost during practice.

“I think we need to be a little bit more comfortable in the final third and maybe a bit more patient,” junior defender Shawn Singh said. “I think we are most dangerous when we can get forwards through the middle, and we get out wide to our midfielders; when they are high around the box, they get service in.”

Working the ball out wide and utilizing speed has been a focus throughout the season, and with four road matches concluding the season, the Bruins will have a hard road ahead to ensure there won’t be another letdown.

“For us to have good success at the end of the year, possibly win the Pac-10 and to do well in the tournament, we have to score goals,” coach Jorge Salcedo said. “I’d be more worried if we weren’t creating chances.”

Salcedo’s crew will look to do more than create chances today against the Matadors.
Northridge, though young, has a playmaker in redshirt junior midfielder Rafael Garcia, who leads the team with five assists. 2009 All-Big West performer Rene Anguiano also patrols the midfield, while freshman forward Sam Ball has been a sparkplug off the Matador bench.

The Bruins’ frontline may also face ex-Bruin goalkeeper Joe Scachetti, who is used primarily as the back-up.

The Bruins have faltered down the stretch in previous seasons, and ultimately, what matters the most to them now is adding four wins in their final four games of the year, the first coming today.

“Every game here on out is an important game to build our resume for the (NCAA) committee,” Salcedo said. “I think the best thing to do is to get back on the field and try to make things that didn’t go well for us better. I’m excited about the opportunity. I’ve seen (Northridge) play this year, and they are much better than the record shows.”

Chris Chen