UCLA men’s and women’s tennis teams boast high seeds in regionals

Senior Nick Meister owns the No.2 singles seed in the USA/ITA Regional.

By Compiled by Bruin Sports senior staff

After going up against the top college tennis players in the nation at the ITA All-American Championships from Oct.2-10, members of the UCLA men’s and women’s tennis teams will take on the best in the west.

Nineteen tennis players will now represent UCLA in the USTA/ITA Regional Championships today through Monday. The Bruins are in the southwest region, with the men playing at UC Irvine and the women competing in San Diego’s Barnes Tennis Center.

The men are led by senior Nick Meister, the No. 2 overall seed for the tournament. Nine Bruin men will play, including No. 8 senior Amit Inbar and No. 9 freshman Daniel Kosakowski. Redshirt sophomore Alex Brigham and freshman Clay Thompson both hold the No. 17 seed for singles. All four players earned byes for the round of 128, and have advanced to the round of 64. In addition to being ranked in the top-10 among individual players, Meister and Inbar are seeded No. 1 in doubles.

The 10 members from the women’s team include No. 2 seed junior Andrea Remynse.

No. 4 junior Noelle Hickey and No. 5 junior McCall Jones. Remynse, Hickey and Jones all advanced to the round of 64 with byes in the round of 128. Doubles matchups for the women’s tournaments have not yet been released.

The winners of the regional championships will play in the 2010 USTA/ITA National Intercollegiate Indoor Championships held Nov. 4-7 at the USTA-Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, NY.

Compiled by Vidur Malik, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Compiled by Bruin Sports senior staff