UCLA men’s soccer prepares to head north

Redshirt junior goalkeeper Brian Rowe and the No. 10 Bruins travel to face Stanford tonight and No. 11 California at Berkeley on Sunday.

Men's Soccer

Stanford
Today, 7:30 p.m.
Stanford
Follow GameTracker on uclabruins.com

California
Sunday, 2:30 p.m.
Berkeley

No. 10 UCLA looks to break a losing streak at Stanford before facing No. 11 Cal in a matchup of the Pac-10's two 3-0 teams.

By Amy Le

The UCLA men’s soccer team is looking to add to its four-game winning streak and undefeated Pac-10 record up north against Stanford and California.

The Bruins, coming off an decisive win over San Diego State on Saturday, are in for a tough road trip, as both opponents pose possible threats to UCLA’s position at the top of the conference.

Coach Jorge Salcedo certainly realizes the significance of taking each game one at a time.

“We won our three games here (at Drake Stadium), and now we go on the road,” he said. “Stanford becomes a really important game for us (tonight).”

While Stanford (5-6-0, 1-2-0 Pac-10) is currently unranked, it was listed as No. 13 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America preseason poll, but fell off the radar after a dismal 0-4 start to the season.

But the Cardinal has certainly turned its season around, winning five of the last seven games. Stanford is led by senior midfielder Dominique Yahyavi, who has totaled five goals this season and scored the game-winner in double overtime against Oregon State on Sunday.

Not only are the No. 10 Bruins (8-2-1, 3-0-0) looking to contain the midfielder, but they are also hoping to break their losing streak against Stanford. The team has not won at Stanford since 2005, and it is itching for the opportunity to change that.

“Since I have been here, we haven’t beaten Stanford up at Stanford, so that’s something I want to achieve and that’s something the team also wants to achieve,” junior midfielder Andy Rose said. “We’ve been really tough at the back, and we really move forward and score some really good goals. We just need to be confident in ourselves and trust ourselves.”

The road trip becomes increasingly difficult when the Bruins take on No. 11 Cal (7-1-2, 3-0-0) on Sunday. Both teams are currently tied for first place in the conference and the Golden Bears are riding a seven-game undefeated streak.

The Bruins’ defensive players will have their work cut out for them if they plan on slowing down their offensively explosive rival. Cal has outscored its opponents 12-1 in the last three games and leads the Pac-10 in goals, assists and goals against average.

The Bruins aren’t falling prey to nerves, but instead, relish the opportunity to play an equally tough program.

“Cal has started well in the Pac-10. If it comes down to us and them (at the end of the season), we have to make sure we maintain the upper hand,” Rose said.

“They are going to be the same type of team this year defensively, but we are really confident just because of the way we have been playing recently.”

It’s certainly a wave of confidence that has the Bruins flying high as of late, and they hope it continues throughout the rest of the season.

“I think that confidence is huge, and I think that we are all starting to feel it,” sophomore midfielder Ryan Hollingshead said. “We know that we are a good team. We have been able to beat really good teams this year, and if we play our game the way we know how to play and play well, I don’t think there’s a team in the NCAA that can beat us.”

Amy Le