Extra Points: Football team’s uneven performances remain baffling

Redshirt sophomore running back Johnathan Franklin gets taken down by a slew of Cal defenders. Franklin had 13 carries for 54 yards in the Bruins’ 35-7 loss to the Bears in Berkeley Saturday.

By Brantley Watson

I’m not sure if there is a record for consecutive head-shakes (not to be confused with head-nods) in the Guinness World Records, but please, someone, put me up for consideration.

As a matter of fact, my head is still shaking. I just can’t seem to figure out the UCLA football team.

I can’t figure out the passing game. I can’t figure out the defense. I can’t figure out the running game.

I am completely stupefied and befuddled when it comes to UCLA football, period.

I’m dramatic, I know. But a week removed from adding a third consecutive victory to this year’s record, bringing the Bruins to 3-2 on the season, UCLA was dismantled and dominated by the Cal Bears Saturday, losing 35-7 in Strawberry Canyon.

So, we’re halfway through the season and what have we learned about the Bruins?

Absolutely, positively nothing.

We haven’t learned if they can legitimately contend for a Pac-10 title, this year or in the future. We haven’t learned if Kevin Prince can remain healthy and give the Bruins some consistency behind center. We haven’t learned if UCLA’s defense is actually good or has just had some good games.

We have learned nothing.

Excuse my brashness, but disappointment is a hell of a feeling. The Bruins have toyed with fans’ feelings for five consecutive games and on Saturday, they made it six. In fact, Saturday’s loss is by far the most mind-boggling of the season, even worse than the 35-point defeat at the hands of Stanford.

At least we know the Cardinal is legit at this point. Cal is not 28 points better than UCLA, not close.

After amassing 266 rushing yards against Houston, 264 against Texas and 437 against Washington State ““ bringing their average rushing yards during their three-game win streak to 322 ““ the Bruins were held to 26 rushing yards on Saturday.

What happened?

UCLA’s rushing attack looked to be making a push to be the best in the country. But Saturday, that notion was completely washed away.

For some reason, the Bruins rushed the ball 26 times and threw 37 times against the Bears. When UCLA beat Texas, the Bruins threw nine times and rushed 56 times. When the Bruins beat Houston, it was 17 passes against 51 rushes.

Catch my drift?

“How do you go guys go out there and beat all those good teams and then lose like this?”

That was the question posed to me by my pops after Saturday’s loss.

“Your guess is as good as mine, Dad.”

Kevin Prince went 13-for-31 passing for 99 yards with a touchdown and an interception, which is a typical performance for Prince. But like always, the passing game was a mix of bad passes, good passes that were dropped and plain-old incompletions.

Usually, Prince is able to offset some of the team’s ineffective passing game with his feet. But on Saturday, Prince had eight carries for a loss of 32 yards.

So what’s the next step? The Bruins travel to Oregon to face the No. 2 Ducks on Oct. 21. Will we see another big road upset? Or another lackluster performance against a Pac-10 opponent?

Don’t ask me because I’m clueless.

It appears that so far, the biggest mistake UCLA has made this season is winning. Dominating Houston and Texas, two games in which the Bruins were thought to have no chance in, has raised the expectations for Neuheisel and his squad. And it’s unclear if the Bruins are ready to live up to such high standards just yet.

So, contender or pretender?

For now, the bar may be leaning toward the latter.

E-mail Watson at [email protected].

Brantley Watson