Men’s soccer shuts out Washington Huskies, 1-0

By Chris Chen

Correction: The original version of this article contained an error. Joe Sofia’s name was misspelled.

On paper, the Washington Huskies looked more than capable but the UCLA soccer team was able to come away with a 1-0 result Friday night.

After opening the season with a 2-1 loss to Evansville, the No. 23 Huskies (6-2-1) would go on to outscore their opponents 13-2 en route to a seven-game undefeated streak heading into Friday’s matchup against the No. 20 Bruins (6-2-1). Leading the charge over the run was junior forward Brent Richards, who was a Second Team All-Pac-10 performer in 2009.

Richards was aggressive at the outset, yet his intensity was matched by the Bruins who stymied the Husky attack. Twelve Bruin fouls did end up yielding seven shots from the Huskies, including two by Richards in a four-minute span, but both of Richard’s shots were saved by redshirt junior goalkeeper Brian Rowe.

Then in the ninth minute, freshman defender Joe Sofia headed in his first goal of the season off fellow freshman midfielder Kelyn Rowe’s corner.

Sophomore defender Matt Wiet would also attack from the backline in the first half with two shots on goal.
The Bruins would continue their attack in the second half, keeping the pressure on the Husky defense with the combined play of sophomore midfielder Evan Raynr and freshman forward Victor Chavez.

But Washington was not done yet. The Huskies would manage to put up four more shot attempts in the last 11 minutes of play. Rowe again made key saves, finishing the night with six and preserving the shutout.

On Sunday, the Bruins will face the Oregon State Beavers (6-2), who are coming off a victory against Pac-10 foe San Diego State.

Chris Chen