Students get more help financially

By Editorial Board

In a system as large as the University of California, change often comes with much difficulty or too slowly. The web of bureaucracy is often an impediment to positive institutional change.

However, the UC’s willingness to front Cal Grants awards, $189 million systemwide, for more than 66,100 students, combined with the introduction of the BruinPay Plan, demonstrates an impressive response to student need on the part of the UC and UCLA.

These efforts to ease the financial strain on students is precisely the sort of activity that renews this board’s faith in the priorities of a system crippled by declining state support.

Lawmakers quibbling over the state budget has prevented the dispersal of Cal Grant money in time for UCLA’s Sept. 24 payment deadline. The UC has taken on the burden of Cal Grants for fall quarter, acting as a buffer to assist students who depend on the grants.

This level of collaboration for the benefit of students is also present locally at UCLA. By providing an option to stagger payment of student fees and allowing textbooks to be purchased on BAR accounts, UCLA is directly responding to student needs.

While students used to stress over paying a large sum of fees at the beginning of the quarter, the BruinPay Plan now allows students to pay fees in three increments throughout the quarter.

As of Tuesday, 685 students have enrolled in the plan, according to Susan Abeles, associate vice chancellor.

Similarly, Associated Students UCLA partnered with the university to give students the option of using their BAR accounts to pay for textbooks, an additional option for students we fully support. The university is collaborating directly with ASUCLA, an organization technically independent of UCLA, with the aim of helping students.

“Anything we can do to make (buying books) more convenient for students, we will,” said Neil Yamaguchi, ASUCLA academic support director.

This set of changes shows a very deliberate effort to place the needs of students at the forefront of the university’s priorities and make the most significant impact possible. Such a move deserves recognition and appreciation from this board.

Just as the UC has stepped up its efforts to support students, this board hopes the state will follow suit. With a $200 million budget deficit at this campus, the UC can only do so much to help. The UC has temporarily stomached yet another shortfall. It is time for Sacramento to seal the deal on the nearly three-month overdue budget.

The UC’s reputation as this nation’s flagship public school system relies on being top in California’s priorities.

Editorial Board