Students sport new trends to beat the heat

By Teresa Jue

In Katy Perry’s catchy summer anthem, “California Gurls,” it seems that West Coast style is defined by “Daisy Dukes, bikinis on top.”

While Perry makes California out to be a land of “gurls” in cutoffs schlepping around without a shirt on, she does have a point: Skimpy is in.

As one strolls around a lazy 81-degree afternoon at the Sunset Canyon Recreation Center, there seems to be a general consensus that teensy bikinis, straw hats and sunglasses reign as the top fashion trends at UCLA.

“Less is more,” said second-year electrical engineering student Sameer Mohan.

With that mantra, swimwear styles seen around Sunset Recreation included the string, halter and bandeau top, which is a strapless bikini top.

“Those bandeau bikinis are really popular right now, and I really like those straw fedora hats and sunglasses,” said first-year psychobiology student Ashley Kusuma, who works at the Italian clothing store Brandy & Melville in Westwood.

In accordance to the shrinkage of the bathing suit, prices for swimwear have reduced as well. Megastore Forever 21 boasts swimwear starting at $10.80, and European retailer H&M boasts an even cheaper deal with bikinis starting out at $4.95.

While a skimpy little bikini may be an omnipresent trend, the one-piece swimsuit is also in for those who don’t want all their bits and pieces hanging out. With the trend of strategically placed cutouts on the swimsuit, as seen on the Spring 2010 runway of Michael Kors and the Spring 2010 Resort collection of Gucci, the one-piece can be an alternative to the bikini while offering some awesome tan lines in the process.

And despite American Apparel’s suggestive advertisements, their selection of one-piece swimsuits are a perfect complement to the resurgence of 1980s fashion with styles in every color of the neon rainbow.

Likewise, beneath the veneer of the glittery pink lingerie explosion of Victoria’s Secret, it has a swimwear collection full of fun and flirty bikinis, tankinis and monokinis.

Likewise, the summer outfit is not complete without a great pair of quality sunglasses.

While Tom Cruise may be known more for his Scientology rather than his status as a style maven, he did herald the trend of the Ray-Ban Wayfarers, which he made popular in the film “Risky Business” as he cruised around a waxed floor in the iconic sunglasses and his underwear.

“The Ray-Bans, I see everywhere,” said second-year English student McKenzie Dowler, who models for the Fashion and Student Trends Club. “I would say a great pair of sunglasses is a great summer trend, like Ray-Bans or aviators or the original Wayfarers.”

There is also the resurgence of the straw fedora hat, which may have been made popular by the hat-wearing singer Jason Mraz. Many UCLA students have been sporting the trend, which has replaced the hipster headwear trend of wearing feather headbands.

Another trend that is dominating the summer is the gladiator sandal, which is stomping more into style than ever before, as seen in the Spring resort collections of Derek Lam and Louis Vuitton.

“The gladiator shoe is really a great sandal and probably one of the best summer trends you can do,” Dowler said.

For an easy trend outside the pool, the female population of UCLA has invested in the shirt-and-floral-skirt combo, which can easily be bought on a quick trip to Urban Outfitters. Likewise, cutoffs are a key staple in the list of summer trends, which are not only nonchalantly stylish but also a thrifty alternative to buying denim.

“I see lots of old cutoff Levi’s. You could get those at Goodwill, and all the girls are making their own shorts instead of buying them,” Dowler said.

With such a large variety of summer fashion trends, it is definitely time to slap on some shades and some SPF and snooze in the sun.

Teresa Jue