Prime | Guide to L.A. salons

By Caitlin Scofield and Shelley Brown

The demands of an undergraduate workload do not allow much time for keeping up with appearances. Between midterms and essays, it’s easy to forget the importance of treating yourself to a beauty treatment or two. Here are some local places to make yourself feel pretty.

Massage

Exhale mind body spa

This spa offers yoga, acupuncture, nutritional counseling, workout classes and facials, as well as a variety of massages. These massages use different aromatherapies to refresh the body and awaken the senses. The “Glow” massage rejuvenates the skin with a dry brushing technique, allowing a new radiance in your skin to appear.

101 Wilshire Blvd.

At the Fairmont Miramar Hotel & Bungalows

Santa Monica, CA 90401

310-899-6022

Facial

Kinara Spa

With press from Allure magazine, People, OK! Magazine and Harper’s Bazaar, Kinara Spa has garnered fashionista hype as one of the best places in Los Angeles to get a facial. Offering a full list of facials from “Deep Detox” facials to men’s facials, Kinara has a treatment tailored to every face. Facial service prices vary from a teen facial at $80 to the “Skin Care Boot Camp” (a 12-day treatment including microdermabrasion and a nutritional consultation) for a whopping $1,800.

656 N. Robertson Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90069

310-657-9188

Brows

Eyebrow threading:

Vinita’s Beauty & Threading Studio

Voted “Best Cheap Brow Job” in 2009 by Los Angeles Magazine’s “Best of L.A.,” Vinita’s Beauty & Threading Studio knows brows. In Westwood, eyebrow threading starts from $9.99 ““ a small price to pay to go from Frida Kahlo to Salma Hayek. Vinita’s frequently offers coupons for services ““ perfect for the budget-conscious student.

1271 Westwood Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90024

310-477-5625

Eyebrow waxing:

Damone Roberts Beverly Hills

Famed celebrity makeup and brow artist Damone Roberts has painted and plucked the faces of Madonna, Beyonce, Robert Downey Jr. and even Oprah. Renowned for his unparalleled “perfect arch,” Roberts leaves customers’ brows looking sleek and well-groomed. For the college student, a visit to Roberts is definitely a splurge. “The Perfect Arch” runs $125, while regular maintenance visits cost $80.

9669 Wilshire Blvd.

Beverly Hills, CA 90210

310-271-2100

Haircut

ChopChop Salon

ChopChop Salon is located in downtown Los Angeles and combines art with hairdressing. The swanky salon’s surroundings feature abstract art exhibitions for customers to enjoy while their hair is transformed into a work of art itself. Darin Birchler, a hairstylist for more than 18 years, blends the SoHo style of New York with the WeHo influences of Los Angeles. But high art is not cheap ““ Birchler’s styling services start upward of $70 for a men’s haircut, increasing to $190 for a full set of highlights.

830 N. La Brea Ave.

Los Angeles, CA 90038

323-464-8100

Hair color

Gavert Atelier

Owned by Cody Kusakabe (a Tokyo native) and Stuart Gavert, Kusakabe blends the haircutting artistry of Tokyo with Tinseltown dye jobs. Gavert, known as a color god, teaches hair color internationally and is renowned for his use of environmentally friendly, ammonia-free pigments. For Gavert, there is no such thing as “flat” color ““ every coloring job includes multiple tints and an in-depth consultation. Services are upward of $70.

9666 Brighton Way

Beverly Hills, CA 90212

310-858-7898

Manicure

Bliss Los Angeles

Known for its spa products, the Bliss spa combines the genius of Bliss products with the luxury of star treatment. The movie manicure is exactly what it sounds like ““ customers can watch their favorite flicks while their fingernails are filed and polished. The spa also offers the much sought-after “Minx” nail treatment, flashy metallic coatings sported by the likes of Lady Gaga for $55.

930 Hilgard Ave.

Los Angeles, CA 90024

877-862-5477

Pedicure

Bellacures

With seasonal selections such as the ginger- and wild cherry-infused “April Showers” pedicure, Bellacures is known for its creative toe treatments. With pedicures such as the affordable $25 basic polish to more elaborate sea salt and microdermabrasion treatments such as the “Callus Blaster” for $50, Bellacures pampers in every price range.

239 N. Robertson Blvd.

Beverly Hills, CA 90211

310-550-5822

Caitlin Scofield