Student Leader Advocates for Music to host concert supporting US music education

By Christopher Robinson

Many campus organizations are dedicated to things like giving back to the community, putting on musical concerts or even just promoting school-wide unity. SLAM does all three.

SLAM, the Student Leader Advocates for Music, is putting on a concert tonight in collaboration with the American Music Conference to support music education at a time when arts funding across the country is being cut back because of economic hardship.

It also hopes that the primary factor in promoting change will be a common love for music of all types and styles.

“We’re a relatively new club on campus, and we’re basically a music and community service model club,” said second-year psychology student Roi Matalon, president of the group.

“This concert will hopefully prove to be an important part in the advocacy of music education as a part of youth development,” he said.

Recently, the group has been working in collaboration with students at Jordan High School to create an after-school youth music program to benefit the students and their community, tailoring the project to fit the school’s desires and needs.

They also put on a concert last quarter promoting music education around the world.

Tonight’s concert, however, will focus on music education in America and will feature a wide array of performances from musical groups on campus and individuals who want to support the cause.

“We wanted to engage as many students as possible from very different parts of the campus community and give everybody the opportunity to perform,” Matalon said.

“We want to show how many different people of different musical backgrounds can all come together and appreciate the universality of music, proving that music can have a benefit of more than just entertainment. It can change lives.”

From the UCLA Marching Band to Fusion to Awaken A Cappella, various groups with different styles of music from across campus will join together to perform in support of a common cause that has impacted their lives.

The evening’s festivities will begin with a performance by Awaken A Cappella and will feature a variety of classic American pieces, including a medley of Stevie Wonder songs.

“We’re going to essentially be setting the theme and mood for the entire evening, and it’s great to see all of these different groups and styles coming together for an event like this,” said second-year psychobiology student Simona Tsipan, a member of Awaken.

Not only will this event highlight these various campus groups and their individual musical styles, but the AMC president, Danny Rocks, will make an appearance as well.

Rocks will be giving a speech underscoring the importance of music education across the country, from the university level down to elementary school and after-school programs for the nation’s youth.

“Our concerts are themed around whatever organization we are working together with,” said second-year French and linguistics student Julia Kim.

“Since we’re paired up with the AMC for this concert, a lot of the music on the bill will be American in style or written by American musicians.”

Following last quarter’s concert, which focused on music education around the world, this event will have a tighter focus and a more immediate sense of urgency, given the current state of arts funding in the nation.

Not only is this event intended to be entertaining for anybody attending, but it is also for an important cause.

“Music education is so important,” Kim said. “You can love music privately, but you can also bring it back to the community. I think it’s really amazing to see people excited about music education.”

This sense of community service is an important goal for all members of SLAM.

“Everybody at the end of the day is looking to make a difference,” Matalon said. “And SLAM shares that driving purpose both on and off campus.”

Christopher Robinson