Famous folk music family will perform at Royce

Three generations ““ including Arlo Guthrie, four of his children and his son-in-law, plus various grandchildren ““ revive the musical spirit of Woody Guthrie for “The Guthrie Family Rides Again” at Royce Hall.

By Shannon Cosgrove

It has been said that the family that plays together stays together, and the renowned Guthrie family is no exception, embarking on their fourth generation of producing and performing American folk music. The 14-piece ensemble, headed by Woody Guthrie’s son Arlo Guthrie, will be performing some of Arlo’s standards and unpublished Woody Guthrie lyrics set to music tonight at 8 p.m. in Royce Hall.

Woody Guthrie was one of the central folk poets of the 20th century, writing such American folk classics as “This Land Is Your Land” and inspiring artists from Bob Dylan to neo-folk bands such as Wilco. His son Arlo followed in his footsteps, writing his own protest songs about social injustice and adding an element of comedy and storytelling, which comes through in songs such as the fan favorite “Alice’s Restaurant.”

UCLA ethnomusicology Professor Anthony Seeger, who comes from a famous musical family himself and whose uncle Pete Seeger has played with Arlo, pointed out the evolution.

“Arlo makes some of the same points about America, but he makes them through humor and story rather than through direct songs like his father for the most part did,” Seeger said. “He puts important points across far better than any Ph.D. professor I’ve ever heard or met.”

Arlo’s daughter, Sarah Lee Guthrie, who will be performing with him tonight, was exposed to her brother’s rock band and punk music before becoming acquainted with the folk songs she now knows, as Arlo was frequently on the road touring. Since her father was a quiet man, she learned about her family’s music and history by stealing records from her father’s collection, and sitting next to him during interviews, listening to the stories he told. Tour managing her father out of high school on the 1997 Further Festival with members of the Grateful Dead and the Black Crowes, she decided to become part of the family’s musical legacy.

“My father just handed me the books at one point and said, “˜Figure it out.’ I was thrown into the fire and had to learn, and I did,” Sarah Lee Guthrie said. “One of my favorite pieces of advice from my father was to try and keep a 45 degree angle, instead of rising straight to the top and then having nowhere to go.”

Sarah Lee Guthrie said she did not want to get undeserved recognition before she was ready, but is now confident in her performance. She and her husband, Johnny Irion, who will also be performing tonight, now have their own bustling musical careers.

“Things have come full circle now in our family as far as sittin’ around the fire and pickin’ tunes,” Sarah Lee Guthrie said. “We can’t separate music from family or marriage, it’s so meshed together we wouldn’t know what to do without each piece.”

Though the Guthrie family is rooted in tradition, they are constantly developing the presentation of ideas through stories and music. Adding electric instruments and new variations to old songs, they are reaching out to a more contemporary crowd.

“Woody Guthrie’s ideas were great, and as we revisit them from different perspectives, the music can be changed and speak to new generations,” Seeger said. “Music’s been around for a long time, but new generations keep polishing it like old stones ““ they get smoother the more the current’s gone over them.”

While the style may change, the material is consistent, as the family still sings about political hot-buttons such as homelessness, unemployment and the general state of the world.

“Social injustice is still a problem today, so Woody Guthrie’s message is still relevant after all these years ““ that’s the beauty of it,” said Phil Rosenthal, director of marketing for UCLA Live. “This tour is particularly interesting because it’s an honor to Woody Guthrie and his songs of social protest that are relevant now more than ever.”

Many of the voices of the folk music movement started in Los Angeles, and they still speak for the people and the community.

“One of my favorite things about these shows is when we’re all up there and there’s a spirit between us and the people who have come to see our show, there’s a give and take energy in the room that I live for,” Sarah Lee Guthrie said. “And I just know Woody’s standing right beside me.”

Shannon Cosgrove