Classical ensemble makes its way to L.A.

GOULD PIANO TRIO
Violinist Lucy Gould, pianist Ben Frith and cellist Alice Neary, who form the Gould Piano Trio, will perform their classical repertoire in Schoenberg Hall tonight.

By Rob Kadivar

Formed about two decades ago, the Gould Piano Trio has objectively established a name for itself as one of the premier chamber ensembles in the world, and tonight they plan to bring their talent to the stage of Schoenberg Hall.

Founded by Lucy Gould, who was already an accomplished violinist, the group as it is today includes cellist Alice Neary, who joined in 2001, and pianist Ben Frith, who added his name to the roster in 1998.

The trio, whose repertoire includes the names of classical masters from Brahms to Beethoven and Schubert to Schumann, has had the honor of performing on culturally priceless stages such as the Lincoln Center in New York to The Queens Hall in Edinburgh, Scotland. They have also over the years developed a respectably long and well-received discography, which has been branded by a series of awards and honors.

With each performance, the group members hold to certain consistencies, such as their connection to the music, to the audience and perhaps most importantly, to each other.

Their relationships, some of which go as deep as their childhood, translate through their music, creating a harmony that transcends notes on a page.

“We really enjoy each other’s company in a social sense. We still enjoy traveling together, and talking is a real asset. Also the fact that we feel music in a similar way ““ I should not neglect that,” Gould said. “That is crucial, but I have taken it as a given already. The thing I love most is that we can do that, and I am so happy to be with these people on trains and planes.”

The trio’s deep personal connections allowed them to understand each other better musically.

“I have known Lucy since I was about 10 ““ we grew up in the same town ““ so it felt natural for me to join,” Neary said. “They are both great colleagues to have, and I would say that socially we get along very well. We have also done a lot of recording together, and in doing so, you get to know each other’s playing even better, as you are constantly hearing it back.”

In becoming familiar with each other’s playing, members of the trio use this newfound comfort to strengthen their work.

“As you get to know each other’s playing, hopefully more spontaneous things can happen within the concert,” Neary said. “There is a kind of telepathy that developed between us … the blending of the strings.”

Some of the pieces they are scheduled to play at UCLA were written while the composers were in an emotional state, which often translates to an equally emotional performance ““ something that certainly enhances the experience for both the performer and the audience.

“One piece is about coming to terms with the death of an infant. It is a very emotional piece from the first note, and it has a kind of hope as well as tragedy that comes out of it,” Frith said. “In the end, it is a fantastically optimistic piece given the circumstances ““ very rich and harmonic.”

The trio caters to new listeners as well as long-time appreciators of the art. They strive to turn young listeners with open minds on to a new form of music.

“We hope to make the music accessible. We hope that we make it seem approachable in some way rather than looking stuffy and so that they do not get it somehow,” Gould said. “I would say that if you like any of the pieces that you hear, go and listen again, it is not enough to hear something once.”

Each member said they recognize the benefits and challenges presented with the task of playing in a smaller group.

“There is more responsibility. There are only three of you, and it is a more direct form of communication with the audience and within the three players,” Neary said. “It is that communication within the three players which I find interesting and quite challenging.”

Frith recognized different perks that come with playing in a trio.

“Three individuals coming together is something much more than it sounds, and I must say, as a pianist, when you play trios you are playing some of the most symphonic music, and it is really like a symphony,” Frith said. “I do not conduct, but it is the closest to feeling as if you are a conductor to a baby orchestra.”

With their performance tonight, the members of the Gould Piano Trio look to utilize the benefits and strengths they carry with them for the enjoyment of both the audience and themselves.

“We are very excited to be coming over to Los Angeles and hope to put on a great concert.” Neary said. “And if we are introducing something new, we hope they will listen with open ears and that we are able to communicate to them.”

Rob Kadivar