Football shakes up positions in offseason to fill gaps

Redshirt junior Glenn Love, who recently switched from safety to linebacker, prepares for the snap during Tuesday’s Spring practice at Spaulding Field. The offseason has seen many players switching to the other side of the ball.

By Ryan Eshoff

Switching sides of the front lines of a battle is usually viewed as an act of treason.

For Nate Chandler, it’s the ultimate act of teamwork.

The offensive lineman-turned-tight end is now on the complete other side of the ball, where he has been slated as a prospective starter at defensive tackle.

“I think I’m coming along quite well,” Chandler said after three spring practices at the new position. “I feel like this offseason, just being in the meetings with (defensive line) coach (Todd) Howard and (defensive coordinator Chuck) Bullough, it really helped me coming into spring ball and everyone’s behind me on the D-line, and they’re always helping me.”

Despite his inexperience at the position, Chandler will be a veritable veteran on a line that will have to replace recently-departed starters Brian Price, Jerzy Siewierski and Korey Bosworth.

As a tight end last season, Chandler made just one reception, a five-yarder. But at 6 feet 5 inches and 291 pounds, the UCLA coaches envision him as a force on the opposite side of the trenches.

As would be expected, the transition is not one that can come overnight.

“It’s more physical,” Chandler said of the biggest difference between playing defense as opposed to offense. “On the line, it’s just a war. Constant battles, one-on-one battles, taking on double teams; whereas a tight end you have to get open, catch balls, block. There’s a lot of techniques on defense, like there’s a lot of techniques on offense, but they’re different.”

Not that everything between the two positions is night and day; the regular matchups between offensive blockers and defensive linemen allow for players on both sides to familiarize themselves with their opponent’s moves.

“Playing tackle and tight end, I know how defensive linemen are going to act and react when I step or anything,” Chandler said.

As unique as his situation is, the former tight end isn’t the only Bruin using the spring to transition from trying to score touchdowns to trying to prevent them.

Redshirt senior Christian Ramirez is making the switch from running back to defensive back, the position at which he began his UCLA career.

Ramirez was converted to tailback from safety before his sophomore season, and then was forced to sit out a season because of eligibility issues.

He eventually returned to the fold on the Bruins’ offense last season, but a crowded UCLA backfield prompted the offseason decision for a position change.

“I’m just having fun,” said Ramirez of his attitude during spring practices. “Still learning, but I’m starting to remember a lot of this stuff from when I played safety freshman year. Just piecing it back together.”

While Chandler will remain in the trenches ““ albeit on the other side ““ Ramirez’s new role will constitute a whole new mentality and technique.

Ramirez was emphatic as to the most significant physical adjustment would be.

“Footwork,” he said. “At safety you’ve got to do a lot of back-pedaling and plant-and-drive, versus on running back when you’re going forward and reading holes. It’s different.”

Ramirez will at least have the benefit of learning from the best; the early spring practices have often seen him positioned next to All-American junior safety Rahim Moore, one of the team’s physical and emotional leaders.

“Just watching his technique, I’m like, “˜Oh crap, that’s what I need to do,'” Ramirez said. “Watching Tony (Dye) on the other side. It’s beneficial. It’s a plus for me.”

Spring Tempest

Towards the end of Tuesday’s practice session, things on Spaulding Field got pretty heated.

Linebacker Akeem Ayers and offensive lineman Brett Downey tussled on the ground after a play, while safety Dalton Hilliard and wide receiver Ricky Marvray engaged in a shoving match soon after.

“Tempers are going to flare in football,” coach Rick Neuheisel said. “If they don’t, you’re not playing the right game. This is our laboratory and it’s a perfect place for experimenting how far you can take it and still maintain your poise.”

Quick Hits

Wide receiver Josh Smith, a transfer from Colorado, left the field limping after a receiving drill and did not participate the rest of practice.

Neuheisel said Smith “tweaked his knee” and was told it was a posterior cruciate ligament (PCL), adding that the injury was “hopefully not too serious.”

Ryan Eshoff