UCLA Senior Associate Athletic Director Ross Bjork to become athletic director at Western Kentucky University

Ross Bjork

Ross Bjork, UCLA’s senior associate athletic director for development and external relations, was announced as the new director of athletics at Western Kentucky University, where Bjork began his professional career in July 1996.

The 37-year-old Bjork is now the youngest athletic director among the 120 in the Football Bowl Subdivision schools. Bjork leaves UCLA after nearly five years of directing the program’s fundraising efforts, among other duties, as a member of the Athletic Department’s senior staff.

Bjork is replacing Camden Wood Selig, Western Kentucky’s athletic director of more than 10 years. Selig announced in February that he was leaving the school to head Old Dominion University’s program.

Bjork said at a press conference Friday in Bowling Green, Ky., that he has been involved in several searches before.

“When the opportunity opened up … I was all over it,” Bjork told WBKO-ABC after the press conference.

With Bjork heading UCLA’s Campaign of Champions, a $100 million drive to raise funds for the Pauley Pavilion renovation, Bjork’s departure leaves UCLA at just about $52.5 million raised so far.

“This is a great opportunity for Ross, and we couldn’t be happier for him,” UCLA Athletic Director Dan Guerrero said in a statement. “As a member of my senior administration, Ross has proven to be well-versed in all of the various areas of an athletic program, including sport supervision, budgeting, marketing, donor relations and fundraising. “¦ He is a rising star in our business, and I know that he will do a great job for Western Kentucky University.”

No announcement has been made about a replacement. Bjork’s former position did not exist before his arrival at UCLA, but Guerrero reorganized his staff with Bjork’s position in an effort to enhance external affairs such as fundraising and donor networking of the university, according to Bruin archives.

Compiled by Farzad Mashhood, Bruin Sports senior staff.