Wednesday, May 8, 2024

SJP, UC DIVEST COALITION DEMONSTRATIONS AT UCLA

Undie Run may return in spring, USAC representatives say

Students are planning to hold another underground Undie Run Wednesday during finals week. Plans have not been confirmed regarding the tradition’s future.

By Sarah Ravani

Undergraduate student government representatives are optimistic that a UCLA tradition similar to Undie Run can be brought back spring quarter, pending students’ behavior during the upcoming finals week.

Although Undie Run was cancelled last June because of the cost of repairs, safety concerns and the presence of outside participants, some UCLA students organized and participated in their own “Underground Undie Run” fall quarter. The run resulted in a number of minor arrests for violations such as jaywalking.

Currently, students are planning a second underground Undie Run for the Wednesday of finals week, March 17, when the run would traditionally occur. As of press time, there were 1,656 students registered as “attending” the Facebook event.

According to Robert Naples, associate vice chancellor, if students’ actions this quarter are problematic, then the university will not be interested in working to develop an event for spring quarter.

A number of factors can result in administration halting negotiations, including the number of students who participate and get arrested, vandalism, outsiders present at the event and alcohol abuse, said Addison Huddy, the Undergraduate Students Association Council general representative, adding that he encourages students not to participate.

“If these underground Undie Runs continue, while good-hearted, it is never going to become what it could become if we simply work with administration on this and make an event that makes everyone happy and keeps students safe,” Huddy said.

Huddy and Timothy Mullins, USAC Facilities commissioner, have been working closely with the UCLA Events Office to create an alternative for UCLA students spring quarter. Huddy and Mullins are not releasing any additional information about the alternate event until it is confirmed. However, they said the event will be connected to a charity fundraiser and will allow students to be in their underwear.

While there were only a limited number of arrests made fall quarter, university police will again be taking appropriate action against students violating laws while engaging in an unsanctioned Undie Run this quarter, said university police spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein.

“I know it’s frustrating that Undie Run has not returned,” Mullins said. “We understand and embrace your passion for the event, and in the end, we are working as hard as we can to bring out a happy resolution.”

Sarah Ravani
Help Wanted

Seeking full-time Medical Assistant for AllergyDox. Copy and paste the link to apply. Experience NOT required, training provided, pay ranges from $20-$23/h https://tinyurl.com/mr3ck3ye [email protected]