Rally supports protests in Iran

By Kelly Zhou

Armed with colorful balloons and countless signs, about 200 community members of all ages marched through Westwood on Saturday in solidarity with the people of Iran, demonstrating sympathy for a nation of citizens currently locked in political turmoil.

The California Society for Democracy in Iran hosted the rally to illustrate its support of the people’s uprising in Iran. The rally was of particular importance, coming two days after the Feb. 11th commemoration of the 31st anniversary of the Iranian Revolution. During the revolution, Iran’s monarchy was overthrown and replaced with an Islamic republic. This new government, however, failed to satisfy the expectations of the revolutionaries.

The rally organizers said they were protesting the myriad of problems in Iran, which include oppression, widespread torture and the absence of freedom of speech and assembly.

The rally, which began on the grass in front of the Westwood federal building, drew plenty of stares and supportive honks from drivers along Wilshire Boulevard.

“My expectation was that we could … just educate the American people and the public about the brutality of the Iranian government and the violation of human rights,” said Nasser Sharif, president of the California Society for Democracy in Iran. “Iranian people are ready for change, and we want to change this regime.”

Religious leaders from the community and representatives from a motley of organizations gave speeches.

Presenters also read messages from representatives in Congress, emphasizing the seemingly overwhelming support toward the people of Iran.

“We want the people in Iran to see that we support them,” said Nima Habgro, a recent UCLA graduate who participated in the rally.

Attendees then released a number of caged doves, signifying the importance of the 22nd day of the Bahman month in the Iranian calendar, which is synonymous with Feb. 11.

“(This was) a day of Iranian anti-monarchy revolution and we had 22 (doves) symbolizing that day and remembering that on that day, many people got killed to bring democratic change in Iran,” Sharif said.

Participants then marched through Westwood, striding from the federal building down Wilshire Boulevard, then turning and moving down Westwood Boulevard until they hit Ohio Avenue, where they doubled back. These streets have a noticeable number of Persian establishments, highlighting the cultural relevance of the geographic area.

Escorted by about 10 police officers, the protesters took up two lanes of the road, slowing traffic in the area and turning heads with chants such as “Democracy: yes, mullahs: no, they are terrorists, they must go.”

“To be honest, I didn’t see anybody making gestures that they were upset,” Sharif said. “In fact, many drivers were honking for us and waving their hands and (making) a V-type of gesture like victory. … I hope nobody got upset.”

The group had a permit for the hour-long march, allowing participants to exercise their First Amendment rights in the street, according to the Los Angeles Police Department.

“For the most part, I haven’t heard any complaints,” said LAPD Officer Angel Romero, about halfway through the Westwood march. “It’s been a peaceful protest and everything’s good right now.”

Despite much community support for the protest, some drivers and onlookers sported surprise on their faces at seeing the protest.

However, overall the organizers saw the event as a success, with a sizeable amount of media coverage and positive feedback from attendees, Sharif said.

“It’s all about solidarity with people in Iran,” Habgro said.

Kelly Zhou