Every five minutes, the United States disposes of two million plastic beverage bottles.

Hoping to discourage bottled water use, the Sustainability Committee of the Undergraduate Students Association Council planned to hold its “Bottled vs. Tap Water Challenge” program today in Bruin Plaza, but it was canceled at the last minute because of unforeseen logistical complications.

The event, designed to test the taste difference between bottled and tap water, planned to have students drink a cup of each type of water without knowing the difference beforehand. The committee planned on keeping a tally of the type of water that is getting more favorable votes from students.

The event was canceled at the committee’s meeting yesterday afternoon, when members discovered that they had been unable to book Bruin Plaza.

“There were issues with our event coinciding with other events,” said Davina Simantob, program director. “We tried looking into other places, but we wanted to be in a place with high student traffic. We were ready for the event; we had the bottled water and tap water ready, and it was very disappointing.”

Though the event was cancelled, the committee hopes to postpone it to either later in winter quarter or sometime spring quarter, as it feels the issue is increasingly relevant to college students.

According to USAC general representative Thach Nguyen, students often choose bottled water because of the popular opinion that tap water is unclean and unhealthy.