Bruins among top Women’s Professional Soccer draft picks

Former Bruin Lauren Cheney was picked by the Boston Breakers in the WPS Draft.

By Rebecca Lee

Three Bruins were selected in the Women’s Professional Soccer (WPS) draft, held at the Philadelphia Convention Center last week.

The Boston Breakers drafted 2008 Olympic gold medalist UCLA forward Lauren Cheney with the No. 2 overall pick. Fellow Olympian Tobin Heath of North Carolina was selected as the overall top pick by the Atlanta Beat.

A four-time first-team All-American, Cheney broke the school records for points (173) and game-winning goals (28) during her senior campaign. She finished the 2009 season ranked second on the team in scoring with 46 points on 18 goals and 10 assists. The forward also tallied 31 assists during her collegiate career, second only to Iris Mora, who played for UCLA from 2002 to 2005.

Forward Kristina Larsen and defender Lauren Wilmoth were also chosen in the draft. Larsen was selected by the St. Louis Athletica as the No. 6 pick in the second round, and Wilmoth went to FC Gold Pride as the third pick in the seventh round.

Larsen ranked third in scoring during her senior season with 24 points on nine goals and six assists.

“I’m delighted for our players and it is definitely a proud day for the Bruins,” said coach Jillian Ellis. “To have an opportunity to continue playing at the next level is exciting, and we wish our players the very best.”

Team captain of the 2009 squad, Canadian Olympian Kara Lang was named as one of the draft’s top five midfielders by some media polls but was not selected in this year’s draft.

According to Ellis, Lang is still rehabilitating from a re-tear of her anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in her right knee. The injury sustained on Sept. 25 during UCLA’s match against Cal State Northridge kept Lang out for the rest of the season and ended her collegiate career.

“There is also no doubt in my mind that Kara Lang will be an impact player in this league once she is back at full strength,” Ellis added in the same press release. “I know that many teams are going to be looking to give her an opportunity.”

The four seniors from the 2009 UCLA team led the Bruins to their seventh straight College Cup berth this past season.

Compiled by Rebecca Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Rebecca Lee