Straight from the source: Chow is here to stay

Offensive coordinator Norm Chow will not be leaving UCLA next season, coach Rick Neuheisel said on Thursday.

By Matt Stevens

UCLA Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow formally announced that he will remain at UCLA, putting to rest days of swirling rumors that he would depart to take the same position with USC under new Trojan coach Lane Kiffin.

“Well, I mean it’s USC, and we’ve known Lane for a long time,” Chow said. “You’re flattered when people call, right? In the end, we realized where we wanted to be, my wife and I as a family, and we were awfully excited about UCLA and the prospects.”

Chow also said he has not personally spoken with either Kiffin or USC Athletic Director Mike Garrett, though he said Kiffin made several phone calls. Earlier in the week, Garrett publically expressed interest in bringing Chow back into the fold but Chow said he was not aware of any such comments.

This was the first time Chow publically made statements about going to USC though ESPN reported negotiations between Chow and USC had taken place days ago. Chow said that he had not spoken to anyone when he first heard that his name was being associated to USC, which he called “very, very unfair.”

Chow was on vacation in Florida visiting a friend in the hospital until he returned to Los Angeles late last night.

“Lane called and left a message that he wanted to talk,” Chow said. “We never had a shot to get back to him. There was some discussions between his people.”

Chow said he informed coach Rick Neuheisel immediately after he was contacted by USC and said he and Neuheisel talked during his layovers on his way back to Los Angeles. Chow also said he had a conversation with quarterback Kevin Prince, assuring him he was staying.

As for new recruits, Chow said he will work to repair any damage caused by rumors of his departure.

“We have a big recruiting weekend this weekend,” he said. “I talked to a couple of recruits I’m bringing in and I’m sure we’ll approach that subject this weekend. If there are things that need to be worked on, I’m sure I’m going to do it.”

Asked if he planned to finish his career at UCLA, Chow, who currently has one year left on his contract and will be 64 in May, said that nothing is guaranteed in the coaching profession.

“I’ve always felt like the job I have is going to be my last one, and I’ve been proven wrong a couple times,” he said. “As you know, I’m not a big move-around guy. Rick (Neuheisel) may decide he doesn’t want us next fall. So I don’t know that. It’s hard to answer.”

Matt Stevens