Hong Kong Student Society at UCLA to hold Mahjong tournament

By Areim Omar

The ancient Chinese game of Mahjong, a source of entertainment for gamblers through the ages, makes its way to UCLA for one night of cultural fun and gameplay.

The Hong Kong Student Society will hold a Mahjong tournament in Kerckhoff Grand Salon tonight, allowing participants to vie for a grand prize of $60.

The traditional Chinese game of Mahjong has been a huge part of the culture of Hong Kong for ages and is similar to the games of chess and checkers in other parts of the world, said Margaret Wong, a member of the Hong Kong Student Society.

“It’s just a chance for people to really come together and just play Mahjong,” said Homing Tam, a member of the group.

The tournament will consist of 32 participants who will play three rounds of Cantonese Mahjong. Prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners, Wong said.

Mahjong is played with 13 tiles slightly thicker than a domino, Wong said. Players have to find certain patterns or groups of threes in the tiles that are dealt, said Elli Lo, a member of the society.

In addition to the tournament, there will be two tables set up to provide information on how to play the game and its cultural aspect, as well as alternatives to Mahjong such as Uno, Jenga and Chinese checkers for the less experienced players who want to have fun without the challenge of competing, Wong said.

Mahjong is a ubiquitous game in Chinese culture and is found in any social situation in Hong Kong, whether it be a big cultural party or a family gathering. Mahjong is similar to the game of poker in the United States, Wong said.

“It’s especially seen during New Year celebrations, and even with the dramas on TV, a lot of the time the people will be playing the game and talking,” Lo said.

Although Mahjong is usually played with money at stake, the tournament’s outcome is based on a point system with the intention of focusing on the cultural significance of a game rather than the financial outcome, Lo said.

In addition to the entertaining aspect of the game, it also acts as a mental stimulant since players are required to effectively set up the tiles they are dealt to win.

“You really use your mind when you play the game,” Wong said.

Even those not particularly skilled at Mahjong are encouraged to attend, said Tam.

“In Hong Kong, mainly housewives play the game. I still can’t beat my mom at it,” Tam said.

Areim Omar