UCLA students still holding out hope for Undie Run

By Sarah Ravani

Students yearn for a stress reliever during finals week as they struggle to stay awake for countless nights, memorizing historical dates and mathematical equations.

But on July 28, 2009, Undie Run was canceled for fall quarter because of reported gang-related issues, increased alcohol use, theft and other safety issues, said Addison Huddy, general representative for the Undergraduate Students Association Council.

Undie Run had originally started near the Westwood apartments; the administration agreed to house it on campus after a car-related incident endangered the safety of students.

Huddy, along with a team of five USAC members, has been working to find a solution to these problems so Undie Run can become an official Bruin tradition.

The reason for the cancellation is because non-UCLA students were starting to participate who didn’t have UCLA’s best interest at heart, Huddy said.

There were also sexual assault cases and vandalism.

According to Huddy, it is important that students do not engage in an Undie Run that is not approved by UCLA, because it could potentially halt negotiations of it returning as a campus event.

Huddy suggested students forgo Undie Run this quarter and hang out with friends instead.

“I think if we prove to administration we can be mature about it, we are going to get it back,” Huddy said.

Timothy Mullins, Facilities commissioner for USAC and a fourth-year mechanical engineering student, said it is important that students know that the administration is being student-friendly and receptive to finding a solution.

“I’m more than willing to work with our students in the development of a tradition that can sustain over a long period of time,” said Robert Naples, associate vice chancellor for student and campus life.

Huddy said that university police, as well as the Los Angeles Police Department, will make sure that the situation does not get out of hand come fall finals week. He added that students who participate may violate disturbance of the peace laws.

“When large crowds gather, that alone is a concern for law enforcement,” Huddy said.

Mullins said it is important for students to recognize the severity of the situation.

“There’s a good chance that we would see a lot of LAPD out there. I would not be surprised if there is riot gear,” Mullins said.

Assuming that Undie Run continues, the best way to limit this to only UCLA students is to have a wristband process, or to sell stylish Undie Run underwear at the UCLA Store that students would be required to wear if they wish to participate, Huddy said.

Students would be required to go online and sign up to be on Undie Run’s texting list, and information about the event would be texted to them an hour before the event. Students’ phone numbers would be verified through their identification numbers.

Other ideas that have been discussed include having the world’s largest game of tag or a water balloon fight.

Huddy and Mullins said they hope to associate the new event with a charity and have organizations such as Red Bull or Fruit of Loom sponsor it. Huddy said that students can show up in clothes they want to donate and then strip down when they get to the event.

“We are really trying to ensure this is something we can continue, be sustainable and turn into a Bruin tradition. But we need to cooperate and respect how severe the problems are,” Huddy said.

Both Huddy and Mullins encourage student feedback and ask that students e-mail them at

[email protected] or [email protected].

Sarah Ravani