Rid pollution from Malibu beach

SUBMITTED BY: Jessica Lacson

No one likes a dirty beach.

No one likes getting sick from one either. Beaches are normally known for their natural beauty and recreation, and a beach of especially long-held popularity and fame should not threaten the health of its visitors.

And there’s no reason such a beach should remain this way when the causes are known and can be solved.

Also known as the Bu, Surfrider Beach is unfortunately listed as one of the state’s most polluted, receiving poor water-quality grades every year for nearly two decades. It has received F water-quality grades 59 percent of the time as of September 2009.

However, the causes are linked primarily to local wastewater problems, specifically commercial and residential septic tanks in the Malibu Civic Center area that have leached wastewater into Lower Malibu Creek, Malibu Lagoon and ultimately Surfrider Beach.

As a result, these water bodies are included on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s list as unsafe for recreation.

But with encouragement from the public and the Clean Water at the Bu coalition, the Los Angeles Regional Water Quality Control Board has stepped in to solve this serious public health issue.

The board is proposing a prohibition on new septic tanks while pushing to phase out current septic tanks in the civic center area. Prohibitions like this one have worked in other areas, so it is critical that the board move forward with this action.

At a hearing open to the public that will take place on Nov. 5 at 9 a.m. in downtown Los Angeles at the Metropolitan Water Board on 700 N. Alameda St., the board will discuss this prohibition.

You have the power to help get clean water at the Bu by attending this hearing and supporting the prohibition.

A large attendance at similarly important events has proven effective in the past, and numbers can definitely empower the message of our cause.

Our physical presence is needed to make sure that the board knows that the public cares about, appreciates and values this important area.

Please visit surfriderwlam.org/cleanthebu for more information about the cause and the hearing. A petition to sign is also available.

This is an opportunity to take action and facilitate change.

This is our chance to get clean water and enjoy a beautiful beach the way it was meant to be experienced.

Lacson is a second-year environmental engineering student and works with the Surfrider Foundation on the Clean Water at the Bu campaign.