Local stores try greener options

By Sonali Kohli

Students walking down Weyburn Avenue can’t miss the “Grand Opening” sign outside the newly opened Fat Dogs, but they might not notice the eco-friendly lights inside.

Owner David Marino began the process of making his business sustainable during construction with the help of his contractor, who installed the most environmentally friendly lights possible, he said.

Fat Dogs also conserves water by filling the sink once in the evening with hot water and soap to wash dishes, instead of frequently turning the faucet on and off and wasting water, Marino said.

Fat Dogs, which opened less than two weeks ago, serves as an example of a business practicing environmental sustainability as well as working to save money, an idea that other Westwood businesses are also implementing.

“There are lots of ways for small businesses and medium-sized businesses to do right by the environment while saving money,” said Cara Horowitz, executive director of the Emmett Center on Climate Change and the Environment at UCLA Law.

Businesses can achieve bottom line success by focusing on recycling as well as reducing energy usage, water usage, and solid waste output, she said.

Various businesses in Westwood have begun taking small steps such as these to reduce their carbon footprint.

Enzo’s Pizzeria in Westwood places importance on recycling the packaging of large shipments and reducing waste by giving leftover food away after closing every night, said manager Cory Camarillo.

While these are good starts, there are many methods for businesses to improve their sustainable practices that have quick payback.

These include changing the light bulbs, switching computers to power-saving mode and using smart power strips for their electrical devices, said UCLA Sustainability Coordinator Nurit Katz.

“It’s increasingly important to consumers to feel that the businesses they are supporting are doing right for the planet,” Horowitz said.

A way for businesses to display this initiative is through certifications such as the U.S. Green Business Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program.

The program uses a point system to judge factors such as energy usage, location in respect to public transportation, recycling practices, lighting design and water efficiency in granting the business a LEED rating, she said.

She added that businesses can publicize the rating.

Many of the larger measures required for this certification involve alterations to the building itself, which poses a problem for small businesses such as those in Westwood that rent the spaces they are in, Horowitz said.

This is an obstacle that Jim Darcey deals with as owner of Copymat on Westwood Boulevard.

Although he said he is able to practice a degree of sustainability in his store, such as using recycled paper, recycling unused paper and using some eco-friendly light bulbs, Darcey said he cannot achieve as much in this location as he can in his Burbank store, where he relies on the city’s recycling program.

“There’s not actually anything set up in this building that facilitates (recycling) very well, so we’re a little bit limited in what we can do,” he said.

Horowitz’s solution to this problem is for tenants to band together and ask for changes from the building owner.

Darcey, however, does not see the need to pursue this option, as doing so would be extremely time consuming for a small business owner such as himself, and in his opinion, unnecessary.

Larger chain stores such as Ralphs, which do own the buildings they are in, have the ability to implement the changes that Horowitz and Katz suggest.

The Ralphs in Westwood was remodeled this summer and now contains new lighting, monitored switches, and motion detectors, said Ralphs spokeswoman Kendra Doyel.

To promote sustainable practices and give businesses an incentive to go green, the Environmental Affairs Department of Los Angeles is currently creating a Green Business Certification program.

The program is similar to one established in Santa Monica in 2006, Katz said.

This program would recognize businesses that adhere to city regulations and take specific steps toward sustainability, according to the L.A. city Web site.

Horowitz said being able to display certifications such as this one will add to the appeal of a business for consumers.

Another barrier is the shortage of knowledge about sustainability, Horowitz said.

“Do the businesses know what they can and should be doing; are they putting enough thought into changing their operations in ways that would allow them to be greener and while saving money?” she said.

To remedy this, Katz wants to create a program where students from the UCLA Anderson School of Management are trained in green business techniques, then help local businesses establish affordable and profitable green practices.

“Students will learn from this, and businesses in Westwood will gain experience with consulting,” she said.

Darcey said he would be open to any practical and doable measures that would result from the program.

“I’m interested in doing things to help the environment that we as a small business can manage,” he said.

Sonali Kohli