UCLA Dance Marathon Committee begins early registration

Last year’s Dance Marathon in Ackerman Grand Ballroom was on Feb. 21 and 22. Early registration for the 2010 marathon began on Wednesday.

By Cassie Smith

Dance music blasted throughout Bruin Plaza on Wednesday afternoon as the Dance Marathon Committee advertised the opening of early dancer registration.

Committee members dressed in bright neon clothing and danced to upbeat music as they handed out fliers, AIDS ribbons and condoms to passersby.

This year, the Dance Marathon Committee is changing its name to Pediatric Aids Coalition. The group plans to host smaller events each quarter to raise money and awareness for Pediatric AIDS.

Early registration for the ninth annual 26-hour Dance Marathon began Wednesday and will continue through Dec. 4. Dancers must pay $20 to register, but the fee increases to $30 after Dec. 4 and continues until Jan. 29.

Dance Marathon will be held in the Ackerman Grand Ballroom at 11 a.m. on Feb. 13, and will last until 1 p.m. on Feb. 14. The proceeds will go to three Pediatric AIDS beneficiaries: the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, One Heartland and Project Kindle, said Kathleen Tvelia, a fourth year anthropology student and public relations director for Dance Marathon.

“We like to say that you can save a life every hour that you’re dancing at Dance Marathon,” Tvelia said.

Each hour of the marathon, a dancer raises $8, which is enough to pay for the cost of a shot that greatly reduces the risk of HIV/AIDS transmission from an infected mother to her newborn child.

The committee has lowered the amount of money that dancers are required to raise, from past years’ $235 to $208, partially because of the economy, Tvelia said.

Christina Brown, director of Dance Marathon and former Daily Bruin contributor, aims to appeal to more people who want to participate in the Pediatric AIDS cause.

“We really wanted to expand our focus so we could do as much as possible for this cause,” said Brown, a fourth-year political science and physics student.

Brown said she hopes students and the community are informed about safe sex practices and the enormity of the pandemic.

“Students come away from UCLA with college degrees, and they should know about what’s going on in the world as well,” she said.

Cassie Smith