Ashe Center short of H1N1 vaccines

By Kavitha Subramanian

Many students at high risk of H1N1 infection will not be able to get vaccinated unless UCLA receives more doses of the H1N1 vaccine, said Dr. James Gibson, co-chair of UCLA’s Pandemic Influenza Committee.

Last week, about 100 students came to the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center exhibiting signs of flu-like symptoms, said Susan Quillan, chief of clinical services for the center.

“The main type of flu we are seeing right now is H1N1 and not the common seasonal flu,” Quillan said.

However, the center is not specifically diagnosing a student with either the H1N1 virus or the seasonal flu. Instead, the sick student is characterized as having Influenza-Like Illness, which covers both flu types.

Each week since school started, about 300 to 400 students living in the residential halls have exhibited flu-like symptoms, said Jack Gibbons, associate director for the UCLA Office of Residential Life.

However, UCLA only received 500 doses of the H1N1 vaccine in the past two weeks to distribute to students, Gibson said.

“There is a shortage of the vaccine nationwide, so (the Los Angeles County Health Department) is allocating doses as the vaccine becomes available,” Gibson said. “The Ashe Center expects to receive more in November, but no one is sure if they will get it.”

Currently, students who are characterized by the Centers for Disease Control as being at high-risk for contracting the H1N1 flu are given priority standing for vaccination. High-risk individuals include those with asthma, cancer, heart disease, diabetes and other disorders.

An H1N1 vaccine clinic opened up Wednesday at El Camino College in Compton with the intention of targeting college students and parents of young children, who are at high risk of becoming infected, said Dr. Jonathan Fielding, Los Angeles County’s public health director. County-wide clinics currently have a larger supply of the vaccine than UCLA does.

Several sick students have tried to make appointments at the Ashe Center since the beginning of the quarter, but the center does not have enough manpower to treat every student exhibiting signs of the flu, Gibbons said.

To compensate, the Ashe Center has released a self-screening tool online so students can determine whether they need to come in for medical attention. If a student has a fever and is developing body aches and a productive cough, then it is recommended that he or she seek medical attention immediately.

After examination, most students are told to sanitize frequently, stay in their room and not attend class until 24 hours after their fevers break. If a doctor determines that a student needs medication, he or she will prescribe it.

First-year computer science student Marc Abuel knew what measures to take when he contracted the flu while living in his residential hall. When he began experiencing body aches, fatigue, headaches and respiratory coughing, Abuel self-evaluated himself and stayed in his dorm room.

“I got the flu on Friday, self-isolated myself and left for home that same night,” Abuel said. “My roommates knew but didn’t worry. They didn’t think it was too serious.”

The distribution of educational materials has been very effective in informing students on the Hill of proper safety measures, said Gibson, who heads the planning committee responsible for spreading the information.

“We’re not seeing very much transmission between roommates,” Gibson said. “I believe it’s because they are more aware of the fact that their roommates are sick, and are therefore much more careful in dealing with prevention measures.”

When a student is confirmed to have Influenza-Like Illness, the Ashe Center notifies the ORL of the person’s name and exact residence. It is then the residential director’s responsibility to notify the RA and talk to the student about what should be done, Gibbons said.

The Ashe Center provides infected students with an informational packet for roommates to help them understand how to avoid getting sick.

“We want students to let others around them know, but we cannot really enforce it,” Quillan said. “We can only recommend it to keep the flu from spreading all over campus.”

Every diagnosed student receives a flu pack, which includes hand sanitizer, a respiratory mask and other preventative supplies.

“We do not want (healthy) students to restrict themselves because of the flu, but they should avoid as much personal contact as possible,” Quillan said. “For example, do not hug and kiss people if they are sick.”

Overall, the Pandemic Influenza Committee’s goal is “to prevent the transmission of the H1N1 virus and mitigate the risks associated with it,” Gibson said.

The task force has recently implemented preventative measures on the Hill, such as installing hand sanitizer dispensers in the dining halls and hanging posters informing students about the basics of influenza in the halls.

“(The Influenza Committee’s) ultimate goal is to provide enough H1N1 vaccination doses for the entire student body,” Gibson said. “We want to prevent as much of the illness as possible so that we can continue with normal operations on campus.”

According to the Ashe Center, no student has been hospitalized yet as a result of contracting the H1N1 virus.

Kavitha Subramanian