Freshman proves a good leader

Freshman Bojana Todorovic has been making a significant impact this season for the Bruins.

By Farzad Mashhood

Facing one of the Pac-10’s most potent offenses in the Oregon Ducks, the UCLA women’s volleyball team is looking for their players to be more complete.

To UCLA coach Andy Banachowski, freshman Bojana Todorovic has begun to emerge as one of those well-rounded performers. Though listed at outside hitter, Todorovic has been making contributions all over the court this season, especially since emerging as an everyday starter with the start of Pac-10 play three and a half weeks ago.

“She does everything,” Banachowski said. “We have her set. She passes nails all the time. She’s a good attacker and great server.”

The Irvine native is leading the Bruins with 21 aces and is third on the team in digs per set with 2.43. Last weekend against the Washington schools, Todorovic made a total of 22 digs and 18 kills. Significantly impacting the team so early in her collegiate career is not Todorovic’s main concern, however.

“It’s been really exciting,” she said about starting, “but I’ve played volleyball for so long that you forget about age, you just play. … You don’t think about that stuff, really.”

To Banachowski, Todorovic’s play will be a crucial component of the team’s game plan this weekend.

“Having more complete players out on the court is really a benefit for us,” he said.

Facing Oregon, which Banachowski noted has a very balanced offense, Todorovic’s well-roundedness will be especially helpful. The Ducks have five players with a hitting average of more than .200. In addition, nine Oregon players have hit at least one ace. Three of them have a double-digit ace-count, including the player Banachowski said is the best server in the Pac-10, senior outside hitter Rachael Rourke.

Face off for third place

With two of the four third-place teams in the conference facing off Friday night, Banachowski said the match will have an added element of competition.

“So that puts a little extra on it here early on for the pride of the rankings,” he said.

Though No. 12 Oregon upset then-No. 5 Stanford this past weekend, the Ducks lost to unranked Oregon State. The Bruins will have their hands full but know what it will take to win.

“If we can serve tough, it makes things easier for us,” Banachowski said.

Farzad Mashhood