Eligible veterans waiting to receive benefits from Post-9/11 GI Bill

By Rotem Ben-Shachar

Today, third-year law student and Navy veteran Glenn Yeck has to make an important stop at the Federal Building to pick up an advance for educational benefits he was supposed to receive months ago.

Beginning Aug. 1, veterans who had registered for the Post-9/11 GI Bill were supposed to receive stipends to help pay for student fees, housing and books. But currently, approximately 25,000 claims are still pending, according to a Department of Veterans Affairs statement.

Today is the first day that veterans can receive advances of up to $3,000 for these benefits.

Though third-year anthropology student Armando Osorno has received additional scholarships to help pay for his expenses, he said the advance is a relief.

“I have been following a budget, staying patient, and concentrating on my class, but it is nice to know the VA is doing something now to help us,” Osorno, 31, said.

Veterans like Yeck and Osorno who have enrolled in graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, and served at least 90 days of service since 9/11 are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, according to the VA Web site.

Rahul Singh, a third-year political science student, feels bittersweet about this new GI Bill.

The older bill, the Montgomery GI Bill, allocates each student one monthly stipend, while the Post-9/11 GI Bill distributes money for specific educational and living purposes based on relative living expenses in the veteran’s area.

“The bill gives me much more money than the (Montgomery GI Bill), but it’s stressful waiting to receive money you are entitled to,” said Singh, who served for four years in the Marines. “Luckily I have scholarships to fall back on, but it’s going to get harder (to pay bills) very soon.”

Yeck said he is skeptical that veterans will receive benefits from the Post-9/11 GI Bill soon. He is now thinking of taking out a loan.

Yeck said he is still awaiting 10 months of payments beginning last November from the Montgomery GI Bill. Though he met eligibility requirements, he was denied benefits. Only after Congressmen Henry Waxman stepped in during July did the VA acknowledge that Yeck was eligible, he said.

The VA has currently switched Yeck’s benefits to the Post-9/11 GI Bill, which will increase his stipends by more than $1,000, but he still has not received any payments, he said.

“My years of financial planning are out the window,” Yeck said.

UCs are doing their part to help veterans during this gap period, said Nancy Coolidge, coordinator in student financial support at the University of California Office of the President.

All UCs, Coolidge said, are allowing veterans to register and attend classes without paying fees for the fall quarter or semester. Although the UC is only prepared to cover student fees for this term, it may continue throughout the year if necessary, Coolidge said.

UCLA, in particular, has formed the UCLA Benefits Implementation Team to help veterans during this gap period, said Tina Oakland, director of the Bruin Resource Center.

In addition to student fees, UCLA has worked out a payment plan with UCLA Housing and the UCLA bookstore to allow veterans to continue using these services before they receive their payments.

“We expected these delays because this bill is so large, but we hope the delay will be over in six to 12 weeks,” Oakland said.

Rotem Ben-Shachar