A conversation with David Cross

Courtesy of MARINA CHAVEZ
Comedian David Cross will be performing at the Wiltern theater tonight. He recently released his first book “I Drink for a Reason.”

By Saba Mohtasham

While much of the world awaits news on the Arrested Development movie, actor David Cross has been keeping busy. His first book of personal essays “I Drink for a Reason” is in stores and currently No. 16 on the New York Times’ Best Seller List. He also just embarked on his first comedy tour in five years and will perform at The Wiltern theater tonight. Cross took the time to talk to Daily Bruin’s Saba Mohtasham about life after being published, shows gone awry and why college was a waste of money.

New chapter

Now that he’s an author, and a bestselling one at that, Cross has noticed a few changes in his life: “It’s been a little book-ier, a little more hard-coverish. I totally turned gay, which I didn’t expect to happen but that’s one of the side effects I guess. I’m looking into adopting a Ukrainian boy ““ the standard stuff that happens when you release a book.”

Fond-ish memories

Though it means not seeing his girlfriend Amber Tamblyn nor his dog for a number of weeks, Cross is back on the road, spreading laughter all over North America. After five years without touring, Cross recalls his time on stage, blurring the good with the bad: “I think some of my worst memories are also some of my favorite memories, but never in the moment. They always suck in the moment, but I also know that when this thing is happening it’s going to make a good story.”

Here’s one memory he hopefully doesn’t relive on this or any other tour: (I had) a show in Little Rock, Ark. behind a pizza place and it was an insane mess. It was just drunk rednecks yelling for an hour and a half. As much as I never want to repeat that, it’s a funny memory for me of just how ridiculous it was.”

Getting “˜Cross’ with college

Cross’ college experience may not have been a long one, but it was memorable. He went to Emerson College for roughly “27 minutes and then dropped out very quickly but stayed there and took advantage of the free food.” Though he said he “got nothing out of a college education,” Cross did partake in the social aspect of higher learning: “I still have many friends from those days “¦ but as far as the actual school experience, it was infuriating. I can’t believe how much money I spent. I had no money, zero, and I took out loans and it was a complete waste of money.”

He doesn’t regret dropping out, and he has some advice to share with today’s students: “Drop out. You don’t need it. I learned everything from my experiences that were outside of school during that time in my life. If you want to get into theater or film or music or certain parts of art or literature, you don’t need to go to college. You get more experience just by going on stage or picking up a camera or just picking up your pen and writing.”

Though he’s not writing off college completely: “I mean, if you want to be a doctor, then yeah go to school, that’s probably a good idea. You don’t want to just pick up a scalpel and learn by trial and error.”

What’s next

Frankly, the guy could use a break: “Jesus Christ, I just put out a book and I’m going on tour. Can I get five minutes to myself?” However, he’s already thinking about a possible second book, this time more of an autobiography. And by the time this tour is over, Cross will know whether either or both of the two television pilots he’s part of have a future. As he awaits the fate of these new shows, Arrested Development fans await to see him take on the part of Dr. Tobias Fünke once more. While there is still no news on the Arrested Development feature film, Cross would just like to make one request: “I’d just like to see my character wear some comfortable clothes for once.” Like cut-offs?

Saba Mohtasham