Students can take precautions to prevent theft at parties

By Sophie Rane

Derrick Sun, a fifth-year English student, experienced theft at his 22nd birthday party last Saturday.

Sun discovered that his roommate’s laptop had been stolen after the party, presumably by a party guest.

Approximately 50 people were at the party, and many were friends of his roommate or of other party guests, Sun said.

“My friends are good people, so I figured most of their friends would be good people,” Sun added.

The most common type of crime on campus is theft of belongings at parties, according to UCPD spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein.

She said the majority of thefts occurring at UCLA parties are crimes of opportunity ““ a guest takes advantage of an opportunity created by unattended belongings.

Students can take several precautions to avoid becoming victims of this type of theft.

The most commonly stolen items are small personal items such as wallets, purses or credit cards, so the most effective method of preventing theft is to avoid bringing these types of items to parties whenever possible, Greenstein said.

Mark Brooks, a second-year political science student and a member of Sigma Nu fraternity, said that thefts do happen occasionally at large parties.

He stressed the importance of being cautious with personal belongings.

“Don’t bring your wallet and credit cards and things like that,” Brooks said.

“It makes it a lot easier for you to lose them or for them to be stolen.”

Because purses and wallets are among the most common items stolen, Greenstein also suggested that students keep a list of credit card numbers and contact information for credit card companies if they are going to carry these items with them at a party.

Once students realize their credit cards are stolen, they can cancel these credit cards immediately in the case of a theft.

Brooks also suggested locking up valuables if a party is taking place in your own home, and Greenstein said that students should lock up valuable items whenever possible.

“It’s okay to keep a bedroom off-limits to secure personal belongings,” she said.

If guests attempt to enter the secured area, Greenstein said that it is important for students to watch them or to ask them to leave.

She also said it is important for students to know their guests in order to prevent thefts from happening at college parties.

If the party is at someone else’s home, students can ask a person they trust to lock up their belongings, Brooks said.

He added that fraternities hire security companies to check IDs and ensure that only those who are on the guest list are admitted.

“Try to make sure the people on the guest list aren’t the types of people who would steal things,” he said.

“It’s the people who show up that you don’t know who are more apt to steal.”

At Sun’s party, the door was reportedly left open for guests to enter. Sun said that he recognized the potential danger in allowing guests to enter freely.

“You should keep the door closed and locked so that you have to open it and you know who’s there,” he said.

Sun also suggested setting up a webcam that can be consulted in case of a theft.

“It’s not hard to set up a webcam in the corner of the room and you can keep track of what’s going on,” he said.

Greenstein said it was important to keep in mind that thefts can be perpetrated by students and by non-students.

“People know to look for parties in Westwood and they can come with ulterior motives,” she said.

If students are uncomfortable with party guests they do not know, or if they are worried that a dangerous situation is being created, Greenstein said that they should not hesitate to ask these guests to leave.

If students are not comfortable doing so, they can also contact UCPD with their concerns, Greenstein said. These calls can be kept discreet if a student does not want others to know they are calling, Greenstein added.

In the case of theft, it is important to contact UCPD immediately, Greenstein said.

Students that are victims of theft should provide as much information as possible regarding the circumstances of the crime, Greenstein said.

If similar thefts are reported by several different people, UCPD will have a higher chance of resolving the crimes.

Greenstein said avoiding theft is primarily a matter of personal responsibility.

“Always be aware of where your belongings are,” she said.

Sophie Rane