Rose pushes digitized accounting

By Anthony Pesce

Hi, I’m Edward Truong and I’ll be writing the USAC blog for the summer.
The lengthiest discussion on the agenda from Tuesday night’s Undergraduate Students Association Council meeting was President Gabe Rose’s request to digitize some of the accounting processes for student groups, such as the Student Organizations Operational Fund and the Student Government Operational Funding.
He introduced to the council a draft of a request for Student Government Accounting and the Budget Review Committee to research the possibilities and costs involved, but some council members raised questions about the efficiency of the request.
Bob Williams, executive director for Associated Students UCLA, called it a resolution that was “impersonal” and “weird” because the council does not have jurisdiction over those entities and he found the method unusual.
Other council members, such as general representative Michelle Lyon, also were unsure of the usefulness of the request, asking whether it was “worth it.”
Williams said that the same result could have been accomplished through a casual conversation and told the council he will look into the issue and report back to them.
The motion to pass the draft of the request was withdrawn and the topic was tabled.
Community Service Commissioner Stephanie Chang also brought up plans for her commission to purchase a 2008 Toyota Sienna hybrid van in the fall and to launch a trial run of a community service record on MyUCLA in the late summer.
In addition, the council discussed the possibility of changing the summer meeting times and reviewed the logistics and monetary considerations for council’s summer retreat, which will take place July 13 and 14 in a rental house in central Los Angeles.
The meeting adjourned around 8:45 p.m.

Anthony Pesce