Saturday, May 11, 2024

Volleyball players receive honors

Last week, men’s volleyball standouts Tony Ker and Steve Klosterman were announced as American Volleyball Coaches Association All-Americans.

Ker, a junior libero, was named to the first team after a superb season in the back row for the Bruins. He completed almost 98 percent of his pass attempts and also led the Bruins in digging with 265 total on the season. He has 852 digs in his three years as a Bruin, which is the second-highest in UCLA volleyball history. In his two previous years as a Bruin, Ker was named first- and second-team All-American and Defensive Player of the Year by Volleyball Magazine.

Senior opposite Klosterman was named as a Second-Team All-American, an honor he also received last year. Klosterman was the offensive weapon this year for Bruin volleyball, leading the team in kills with 472 and averaging a 0.313 attack percentage on the year. Last year, Klosterman was named Most Outstanding Player of the NCAA Championship.

UC Irvine, the recent winner of its first NCAA volleyball championship, led the nation in All-American selections with four.

GYMNAST UNDERGOES SURGERY: Sophomore gymnast Ariana Berlin recently underwent successful surgery on her right leg. In 2001, after Berlin was in a car accident, she had a titanium rod implanted in her leg, and it was finally removed Thursday. A full recovery is expected, and in the meantime she will be on crutches for eight weeks.

As a freshman, she was a strong contributor for the Bruins, competing in 50 out of 52 routines and ranking third on the team in routines completed. She also had five top-three finishes in all-around competition last year.

Compiled by Allister Wenzel, Bruin Sports senior staff.