Creating a legacy: Charisma Osborne surpasses 2,248 points amid career of growth, trust

Graduate student guard Charisma Osborne looks for a pass as a defender guards her. (Photo illustration by Ashley Ko/Illustrations director. Photo by Myka Fromm/Photo editor)

By Gavin Carlson

March 18, 2024 at 9:12 p.m.

This post was updated March 27 at 10:28 a.m.

Editor’s note: This post was updated to replace a photo illustration that contained images the Daily Bruin did not have permission to use.

2,248 career points and counting.

Charisma Osborne’s total – which ranks second on UCLA women’s basketball’s all-time scoring list – is a clear testament to her longevity. Some would say it’s her best argument for being viewed as one of the program’s greatest players.

Others would point to her growth in other areas as a symbol of her legendary status in Westwood. While her scoring average has actually decreased every year since her sophomore season, the guard is averaging more assists and steals per game in the current campaign than her previous two seasons.

And on the efficiency front, her 41.1% shooting percentage exceeds her previous high of 38.7% that she set last season.

But above all else, the graduate student’s greatest aspect of growth is not something that can be summarized by a statistic or placement on an all-time list.

Rather, the greatest contrast between Osborne as a freshman and now is best summed up in one word: trust.

“She’s really introverted,” said graduate student guard Camryn Brown. “Many people may not think or believe that, … but she likes to be to herself.”

Brown is arguably the most reliable source on Osborne – the pair met at a UCLA camp in eighth grade and have been teammates for all five seasons of their respective careers.

Graduate student guard Charisma Osborne keeps the ball away as graduate student guard Camryn Brown guards her. The veteran duo has spent all five years of their collegiate career together at UCLA. (Jeremy Chen/Photo editor)

Despite Osborne’s status as eighth on the Bruins’ all-time assists list, Brown would be the first to tell you that her willingness to put the ball in her teammates’ hands doesn’t fully line up with her personality. While she’s as loyal as they come to those in her circle, Brown – and Osborne herself – will say it takes a lot to enter her ring of trust.

“When you’re considered one of her people, she’s one of the most loyal people I’ve ever met,” Brown said. “It’s something I truly admire.”

Coach Cori Close, meanwhile, says personality tests have confirmed Brown’s assessment.

“We do personality tests – she’s a six,” Close said. “Six is like, you got to really earn their trust. Their trust is not given. It’s definitely earned.”

While Brown might be the best person to speak on Osborne’s personality, Close offers a different perspective as the leader of the program. For a significant time, their relationship was lacking.

“Charisma and I’s relationship was rocky at the beginning,” Close said. “We had to really work at our communication, building our trust.”

While the two are the closest they’ve ever been ahead of their final NCAA Tournament run together, a moment at the end of last season’s postseason run – and the decisions that followed – best symbolize how far their relationship has come.

Many remember Osborne’s second-round contest against Oklahoma for what she did on the court.

In what was believed to be her final game at Pauley Pavilion, the now four-time All-Pac-12 player scored 36 points, grabbed eight rebounds and dished out four assists to help the Bruins clinch a Sweet 16 berth. After drilling her final pair of free throws, Osborne left the floor to a standing ovation from the UCLA faithful before hugging Close on the sideline.

The moment was proof that their relationship had grown drastically since Osborne’s first season.

She had wasted no time during her freshman season, averaging 12.2 points and 5.8 rebounds per contest as UCLA raced to a 25-4 regular season record in 2019-2020.

But Close admitted Osborne looked more toward her teammates than the head coach for guidance.

The then-freshman spent many hours in the gym with then-senior guard Japreece Dean. She was also roommates with Bruin legend and current WNBA player Michaela Onyenwere, who helped Osborne grow as a player and person.

Then, that promising season for UCLA and Osborne came to an abrupt halt when the COVID-19 pandemic ended the campaign before the NCAA Tournament. And when the murder of George Floyd and subsequent social justice movement took place that following summer, Osborne’s and other Bruins’ roles moved off the court.

Along with Onyenwere, Brown and others, Osborne became a host of “Bruin Table Talk,” a show centered around discussing social justice and Black excellence as a part of the program’s “More than a D.R.E.A.M.” efforts. Off the camera and away from the microphone, Close joined in on those conversations.

Now, she says that time contributed to Osborne’s evolution as a person and their relationship’s growth toward increased trust.

“She’s a woman of great conviction, … a woman of justice,” Close said. “That summer of 2020, it was about areas of racial injustice. … It really made us have hard conversations, and I know she made me better.”

From then on, the two still experienced what Osborne summarized as “ups and downs.”

The following season included an early March Madness exit. Her junior year ended in the WNIT semifinals.

Osborne walks off the floor and high-fives members of the Bruins’ bench. (Zimo Li/Daily Bruin)

Off the floor, the relationship between Osborne and Close continued to grow, with the former admitting it was – and still is – far from perfect.

“We built a lot of trust … just having conversations, whether that’s about basketball or non-basketball,” Osborne said. “There’s still days where she’s not on my good side, if I’m being honest, but I know that when it comes to her, obviously, she wants what’s best for all of us. I can really trust her intentions, especially with basketball.”

The end to the 2022-2023 season – featuring a loss in the Pac-12 tournament title game and a Sweet 16 defeat against then-No. 1 seed South Carolina – was emblematic of both Osborne and Close’s UCLA careers – full of “almosts.”

But behind the scenes, it also presented one more opportunity for Osborne to display her newfound trust for her coach.

And when it came time to choose between a potential first-round selection in the 2023 WNBA Draft or another year with her Bruin family – Close included – Osborne chose to place her trust in UCLA one more time.

“How lucky am I that she was steadfast enough to work through hard things when it was rocky,” Close said. “I feel like we’re at a different level of trust, and I’m so proud of her.”

The season has since been full of individual and collective achievements.

Osborne helped the Bruins win their first 14 games of the season and reach No. 2 in the AP Poll for the first time in program history. As the campaign progressed, Osborne climbed up UCLA’s all-time lists, ranking second in points, fourth in field goals made, eighth in assists and 10th in rebounds.

By season’s end, she picked up a fourth All-Pac-12 selection and a second All-Pac-12 Defensive Team honor.

“The numbers don’t lie,” Close said. “It’s just the amount of categories that she’s so elite in. She’s one of the best players to ever play here – there’s no doubt about that. And she wants to keep growing.”

But despite all of the growth Osborne has experienced as a player and person at UCLA, she’s well aware of one more category: postseason success.

“That’s what I came here to do – win championships,” Osborne said. “Last year I felt like our team was really good but really young and inexperienced. (This year) we could take it all the way. That was definitely a big factor in deciding to come back.”

Read more stories like this: