Student Meal Diary: My favorite meal today

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

By Katherine Wang

November 18, 2023 at 7:46 p.m.

Monday

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

Temperatures were insanely high on Monday, so I treated myself to Sambazon, the new acai place in Ackerman. I’m a fan of acai because it’s nutritious, sweet and refreshing. Sambazon’s fresh berry acai bowl was served with generous toppings, but the acai could almost pass as a smoothie, which was a bit disappointing because I find it tastes best with a frozen and creamy texture. The line was short when I went around 3 p.m. Overall, it was a good experience!

Tuesday

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

After an 8 a.m. class, breakfast at Bruin Plate had the perfect amount of sustenance I needed to recharge. I savored their morning staples of oatmeal, bagels and coffee while listening to a podcast. B Plate wasn’t my favorite last year, but this year it’s my go-to dining hall. In my opinion, B Plate is the best breakfast option on the Hill because of its variety and accessibility no matter where you live on the Hill. Hearty breakfasts are so important for early mornings, and a swipe will always be worth it here.

Wednesday

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

Bruin Café represent! As a previous Sproul Hall resident, I turn to Bruin Café for quick and safe meals. I tried mostly everything on their menu last year, and today I went with my go-to chipotle BBQ turkey sandwich. I recommend mobile ordering about half an hour beforehand and getting in line with about five minutes left of its preparation. I saw new smoothies and grab-and-go options that I look forward to trying next time.

Thursday

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

Not needing to exchange meal swipes for tickets beforehand at Anderson cafe is truly a blessing, because I’m obsessed with this place. Today, I used a swipe on avocado toast and paid for an iced pumpkin cream chai latte. Most days, I’d just get a coffee and a muffin or everything bagel using one swipe. Anderson has been very popular every time I’ve gone there, so wait times can be long, especially if you’re going right before or after classes.

Friday

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

I’m rarely absent for B Plate’s salad buffet day. I tried a little bit of each salad with a side of bread chips, and also got a piece of mushroom arugula flatbread. B Plate’s food aesthetic goes hard, making meals look more appetizing. Not pictured are fruit, yogurt and olive oil mocha bread I got later. At dining halls, I strive for a balanced meal of carbs, fruits and veggies that I cannot get for one swipe elsewhere.

Saturday

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

WeRoll Nori is a new sushi restaurant in Westwood. I tried their box of three onigiris, each with a different filling: blue crab, tuna mayo and corn and edamame. I enjoyed a savory and satisfactory meal in their aesthetic seating area with friends. One friend tried their miso soup, which she said she enjoyed, and another friend said their plain onigiri had a surprising amount of flavor. I love trying new food places and would recommend WeRoll Nori to all sushi lovers!

Sunday

Courtesy of Katherine Wang

The Study at Hedrick sandwich makes the climb up the hill feel worth it. I love mine toasted with avocado, turkey, lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, and tomato pesto (sometimes mustard-mayo) sauce. I’m also a fan of their salads and breakfast bagels, but since The Study is so far up the hill, I don’t go here as often as I would like to. I’m disappointed that the quality of the sandwiches went down after The Study switched to mobile ordering because I’ve had many burnt on the side and with less filling, but I hope this changes as the quarter progresses.

Read more stories like this: