UC Online Course Highlight: EART 11

By Adriana Conte

June 24, 2021 at 7:06 p.m.

Every year, California gets about 10,000 earthquakes. These tremors range in magnitude; some are so small that they are not even felt, and others are large enough to be destructive. In California and all over the world, earthquakes are a feared natural disaster that have the potential to wreak havoc, putting the lives of many in danger as this unstoppable force moves through the earth. The study of earthquakes is important because it allows scientists to understand its causal mechanisms and forecast early warnings. UC Online is excited to promote “Earthquakes,” a fully remote course taught through UC Santa Cruz that investigates the causes and effects of earthquakes. Through addressing why, where, and when earthquakes occur, this course seeks to provide students with the knowledge and best practices needed to prepare for future earthquakes and understand how its effects can be mitigated.

Earthquakes is an online course that explores numerous topics such as tectonic plate motion, frictional faulting, wave propagation, human-induced earthquakes, and much more.

By the end of this course, students will be able to understand plate tectonics and fundamental earth science concepts to ultimately be able to utilize quantitative problem solving skills to analyze and interpret real seismic data.

This course requires completion of advanced algebra and high school geometry in order to construct and interpret graphs with linear and logarithmic scales, and to access, plot, and evaluate earthquake data. Through quantitative practices, students will be able to compare and contrast the probability of earthquakes in different regions and use these skills to construct practical mitigation strategies.

This course is open to all UC students and is offered in Fall 2021. The class consists of 9 modules that expand upon a wide range of topics. Each module consists of roughly three lectures as well as several required readings and additional resources to enhance student understanding of the material. Following each module, students will be required to take a short quiz and complete a module activity to test their understanding. There are also optional online tutorial sections to aid students in solving problem sets. The grade breakdown for this course consists of 8 interactive exercises included in the modules, 5 math quizzes, 8 lecture quizzes, and a final exam. Extra credit can also be rewarded for participation as deemed appropriate by the instructor. Any late work will result in a penalty that negatively impacts the student’s grade. Please refer to the syllabus for more information about course expectations, learning objectives, and grading.

All class assignments are designed to expand upon course materials and provide a comprehensive understanding of earthquakes. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be better prepared for future earthquakes and understand the practical hazard mitigation strategies related to building design, earthquake forecasting, and early warning signs. This course aims to inspire students to educate their peers about this natural disaster and facilitate a greater appreciation for fundamental Earth Sciences concepts.

Read more stories like this: