Thursday, September 21

About the Daily Bruin Editorial Board

Mission Statement

The Daily Bruin Editorial Board acts as the official voice of the newspaper and publishes editorials about topics relevant to UCLA twice a week, on every Monday and Thursday during the school year.

The board is composed of five sitting members and several long-standing staff representatives who meet to discuss issues on campus and within the larger University of California system. Editorial positions are determined by majority vote and unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the newspaper.

The members of the board believe an independent and accessible student press is critical to ensuring a well-informed student population. As part of the Daily Bruin’s commitment to its readers, the board hopes to present a responsible and clear analysis of relevant events and news items affecting the lives of those we serve.

The board stands behind the preservation of the University’s academic mission, especially in the wake of years of state divestment in public higher education. The board believes that administration, at all levels, should be held accountable to students, faculty and staff. Similarly, a watchful eye must be cast on the actions of elected student officers to hold them accountable to the best interests of their constituents.

Editorials are intended to serve as the jumping point, and not the conclusion, to discussion. We encourage all readers to reach out to our board members and to respond to our editorials.

The Board

Mackenzie Possee is the 2017-2018 Daily Bruin editor in chief. She was an assistant Photo editor from 2016-2017.
Madeleine Pauker is the 2017-2018 Daily Bruin managing editor. She was previously an assistant News editor covering the City beat and reported on crime and Westwood.
Emily McCormick is the 2017-2018 Daily Bruin digital managing editor. She previously served as the Music | Arts editor for the Arts and Entertainment section and wrote as a reporter and columnist.

Rupan Bharanidaran is the Daily Bruin News editor. He was previously a reporter within the News section, specializing in student government and campus politics. 

Keshav Tadimeti is the Opinion editor at The Bruin. Previously, he was an assistant editor within the Opinion section and contributed as a columnist.

Catherine Liberty Feliciano is both an Opinion and News senior staffer. She has experience most recently as an assistant editor in Opinion.

Roberto Luna Jr. is a News senior staffer. He previously worked as an assistant editor in the section, covering Westwood, local politics and crime.

Emily Merz is an Opinion columnist at The Bruin. She previously contributed as a News reporter covering campus politics.

Ankita Nair is an Opinion columnist, who has written on topics like pre-medical student resources for The Bruin.

Abhishek Shetty is an assistant editor for the Opinion section. He previously contributed as a columnist for the section, writing about topics including USAC and the UCLA administration.

Lindsay Weinberg is the 2017-2018 content editor for prime magazine. Previously, she spent one year as the Daily Bruin’s Arts and Entertainment editor and one as the section’s Lifestyle editor.

Read recent editorials »