Sunday, December 16

About the Daily Bruin Editorial Board

Mission Statement

The Daily Bruin Editorial Board acts as the official voice of the newspaper and publishes editorials about topics relevant to UCLA twice a week, on every Monday and Thursday during the school year.

The board is composed of five standing members and several long-standing staff representatives who meet to discuss issues on campus and within the larger University of California system. Editorial positions are determined by majority vote and unsigned editorials represent the majority opinion of the newspaper.

The members of the board believe an independent and accessible student press is critical to ensuring a well-informed student population. As part of the Daily Bruin’s commitment to its readers, the board hopes to present a responsible and clear analysis of relevant events and news items affecting the lives of those we serve.

The board stands behind the preservation of the University’s academic mission, especially in the wake of years of state divestment in public higher education. The board believes that administration, at all levels, should be held accountable to students, faculty and staff. Similarly, a watchful eye must be cast on the actions of elected student officers to hold them accountable to the best interests of their constituents.

Editorials are intended to serve as the jumping point, and not the conclusion, to discussion. We encourage all readers to reach out to our board members and to respond to our editorials.

The Board

Jacob Preal is the 2018-2019 Daily Bruin editor in chief and a standing member on the Editorial Board. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2017-2018 covering the city and crime beat.
Amy Baumgartner is the 2018-2019 Daily Bruin managing editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. She was previously a slot editor at the Copy desk from 2017-2018.
Michael Zshornack is the 2018-2019 Daily Bruin digital managing editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. He was previously the Photo editor from 2017-2018 and an assistant Photo editor from 2016-2017.

Hedy Wang is the 2018-2019 Daily Bruin News editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. She was previously an assistant News editor from 2017-2018 covering the features and student life beat.

Keshav Tadimeti is the 2018-2019 Daily Bruin Opinion editor and a standing member on the Editorial Board. He was the Opinion editor from 2017-2018, an assistant Opinion editor from 2016-2017 and a columnist before that. He writes about issues surrounding higher education, state politics and the administration.

Ani Gasparyan is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and one of the 2018-2019 assistant Opinion editors. She was previously an Opinion columnist, and writes about issues surrounding workers’ rights and student life.

Kristie-Valerie Hoang is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and the 2018-2019 Social Media Director. She was previously an assistant Photo editor from 2017-2018 on the arts and entertainment beat.

Saskia Lane is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and a 2018-2019 slot editor in the Copy section.

Melissa Morris is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and the 2018-2019 campus politics assistant News editor. She was previously a News contributor for the beat in 2017-2018.

Omar Said is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and one of the 2018-2019 assistant Opinion editors. He was previously an Opinion columnist, and writes about issues surrounding diversity and student life.

Abhishek Shetty is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and an senior staffer in the Opinion section. He was previously an assistant Opinion editor from 2017-2018. He writes about issues surrounding the undergraduate student government and the administration.

William Bleveans is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and an Opinion columnist. He writes about campus politics, academics, and the University of California.

Chris Busco is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and an Opinion columnist who writes about issues surrounding student life and campus infrastructure.

Rayna Salam is a staff representative on the Editorial Board and a 2018-2019 staff member of the Copy section.

Read recent editorials »