PAID POST
UCLA Blood and Platelet Center ROTC Drive
This post was created by Bruin Media Group, the marketing section of the Daily Bruin. The editorial staff of the Daily Bruin played no role in the creation of this post and its content.

By Adriana Conte

May 17th, 2021, 11:09a.m.

Every two seconds, someone in the United States needs blood and/or platelets.
The importance of blood donation cannot be understated, and neither can the
importance of blood donors. Because blood and platelets cannot be manufactured, only
willing volunteers have the ability to deliver this vital treatment to those in need. For
some, receiving blood and platelet donations is a life-saving therapy.

The UCLA Blood and Platelet Center is committed to providing the best quality blood
components for its patients at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, the UCLA
Mattel Children’s Hospital, and the Santa Monica UCLA Hospital. Donors play an
essential role in making UCLA’s healthcare services and treatment one of the best in the
world.

While the UCLA Blood and Platelet Center typically collects 60,000 donations annually,
the global COVID-19 pandemic has severely limited the number of donations this past
year due to canceled blood drives and stay-at-home mandates. In this time of critical
need, it found an answer with UCLA’s Military-Connected Departments.

The UCLA Army ROTC, Naval ROTC, Air Force ROTC, and the Veteran Resource Center
decided to form a competition to support the efforts of the UCLA Blood and Platelet
Center. The competition began in August and is set to conclude at the end of May. To
date, 34 people have participated in the campaign, with the Naval ROTC leading in
recruiting the most blood and platelet donors. This effort has significantly contributed
to the demand for blood supply, and this genuine act of volunteerism in the spirit of
friendly competition is something to be celebrated.

“As a regular platelet donor, I understand the impact of my donations on UCLA Health,”
said Brooke Nakagawa, a UCLA alumna and current staff member of the Naval Science
Department who has donated over 4 gallons of blood and/or platelets. “Our ROTC and
veteran students have made a huge commitment of service to this country, so I am
honored to participate in this campaign alongside them in service to the UCLA
community.”

In honor of Military Appreciation Month, the UCLA Blood and Platelet Center would
like to thank UCLA Army ROTC, Naval ROTC, Air Force ROTC, and the Veteran
Resource Center for their support and help during this time of critical need. For those
who are able, we encourage you to consider donating blood and contributing to the
cause. Your donation has far-reaching impacts that can truly make a difference in
someone’s life.

To learn more about blood donation and to see if you are eligible, please visit UCLA
Blood and Platelet Center’s website for more information.