Re:SET 2023: Steve Lacy and openers serenade the sunset on day 1 at Rose Bowl

Sporting blue sunglasses, headliner Steve Lacy leans toward his mic stand while playing the guitar. The singer closed out day one of the Re:SET Concert Series in Los Angeles. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

By Dannela Lagrimas

Re:SET is rethinking summer music festivals.

The Re:SET Concert Series arrived at Brookside at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena on Friday evening. Unlike traditional festivals, which have multiple stages and concurrent artists across an entire day, Re:SET features a single stage, with each act performing a full set. Los Angeles’ day one set welcomed headliner Steve Lacy and his curated openers – Fousheé, Toro y Moi and James Blake.

Read on for the Daily Bruin’s coverage of day one of Re:SET.

With dark formalwear contrasting her platinum blonde hair, Fousheé bends over the mic during her performance. The singer-songwriter&squot;s setlist included songs from her 2022 album "softCORE." (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)
With dark formalwear contrasting her platinum blonde hair, Fousheé bends over the mic during her performance. The singer-songwriter’s setlist included songs from her 2022 album “softCORE.” (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

Fousheé

Fousheé is asking audiences to scream her name.

The New Jersey artist’s simple setup – a black outfit to offset platinum blonde hair, with no visible band members accompanying her – concealed the complex production behind each track. She opened with “scream my name,” a hyperpop track from her latest album, “softCORE.” A breathy rendition of “my slime” followed, where she led the crowd in swaying to the song.

Throughout her set, Fousheé used audience interaction to transition between songs, such as wishing a fan happy birthday and naming the 12 zodiac signs. The interactions were reciprocated when she implored the crowd to jump during the fast-paced song “stupid bitch,” as the sea of audience members bobbed up and down to the thumping bass line.

Although her setlist was lively, it also featured slower tracks, including one where the artist displayed her vocal range with high-pitched whistle tones. Before she introduced an unreleased track, “closer to god,” which interpolated Frankie Vallie’s “Can’t Take My Eyes Off You,” she expressed her gratitude to her fans for giving her the space to grow in new directions.

“It feels good to bring out the acoustic guitar and be intimate with all of you,” Fousheé said. “This is the root of it all. … Can I be vulnerable with you?”

[Related: JazzReggae Fest 2023 to celebrate Westside culture with live music, vendors]

Gripping his mic stand, Toro y Moi points on the Re:SET stage as golden hour approaches. The singer later removed his cap and sunglasses as he smiled while the audience sang “Ordinary Pleasure.” (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

Toro y Moi

Toro y Moi proved that groove is no ordinary pleasure.

The musician, who also goes by Chaz Bear, took the stage at 6:15 p.m. as golden hour reigned across the Pasadena sky. Bear opened with “Mirage,” a feel-good track that meshed funk inspirations with synthwave flourishes. With “The Loop,” a song from his newest album, “MAHAL,” he picked up a red and white guitar for a smooth solo. Accompanied by visuals of a gradient solar lamp and synth-heavy tracks, Bear remained behind his microphone stand for the first half of his set.

However, that changed with “Laws of the Universe,” which featured a dance-worthy beat. Bear stepped out from behind the stand and showcased his own footwork. Flashier visuals punctuated the change in pace as the audience grooved with Bear. The energy continued with the danceable final song, “Ordinary Pleasure.” When he removed his sunglasses and hat, fully revealing his face for the first time, Bear grinned at the crowd as he sang the track’s repeated chorus.

And as the sunlight waned, Bear danced the rest of the performance away.

James Blake sits with his lower half drenched in red light as a cloud of white haze floats behind his head. The English musician played the keyboard during his performance of “Say What You Will.” (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

James Blake

James Blake took concertgoers “Mile High.”

The English singer’s set opened with the “Succession” theme song, to the cheering crowd’s delight. His first song, “Limit To Your Love,” used a sonorous bass that reverberated throughout the Rose Bowl. Backlit by red lights and seated at the keyboard, Blake also performed “Say What You Will” in his falsetto and taught the crowd a melody so they could participate in the performance too.

Blake played collaborations with other artists, letting the pre-recorded vocals of Travis Scott and SZA shine during “Mile High” and “Coming Back,” respectively. During a cover of Bill Withers’ “Hope She’ll Be Happier,” Blake dealt with brief technical issues but finished the song, bathed in a single indigo light that intensified the song’s melody.

“Godspeed” further highlighted his vocal prowess. As he crooned the Frank Ocean song, the audience remained hushed, allowing Blake’s voice to wash over the festival as the sun disappeared behind the San Gabriel mountains. For the final songs, “Retrograde” and “Don’t Miss It,” Blake brought back pulsating beats and bright strobes that shone into the audience during the various beat drops.

Blake proved that there was no limit to his audience’s love as he departed to screams and cheers.

[Related: Concert review: The National proves it’s still an indie powerhouse after more than 20 years]

Steve Lacy tilts his head back during his performance as shades of purple, blue and pink radiate from the screens behind him. The “Bad Habit” singer took off his coat for the latter portion of his set as day one drew to a close. (Anika Chakrabarti/Photo editor)

Steve Lacy

Steve Lacy’s Re:SET performance came in time for Gemini season.

Following an introductory sequence that generated suspense, Lacy took the stage not long after 9:15 p.m. The artist, who took home a Grammy Award for his album “Gemini Rights,” came dressed in a long black coat and his trademark sunglasses before the soulful opening song, “Helmet.”

Lacy’s set was also punctuated with cuts from his debut album “Apollo XXI,” such as “N Side,” a sensual, pulsating song. His witty rapport with the crowd juxtaposed some of the music’s weightier themes alongside candid explanations for different tracks. While most of the setlist featured a quicker tempo, Lacy also included more leisurely songs, such as the dreamy “Give You the World,” which highlighted the singer’s falsetto.

Apart from auditory bliss, the set created visual interest for festivalgoers. Behind Lacy, screens featuring the singer’s teeth and eyes at absurdist proportions accompanied each song while dynamic lighting painted the stage in shades of maroon, turquoise and magenta, reflecting the tone of each song.

Lacy signified the transition into his closing set by taking his coat off during “4real” as the audience danced. Building from the crowd’s energy, he brought out Fousheé for “Sunshine” and encouraged the crowd to sing the intro to “Static” a cappella. When he began to sing the viral introduction to “Bad Habit,” the audience screamed louder than before.

Although one may not be able to surprise a Gemini, the Re:SET crowd left Lacy smiling as he finished the night.

Dannela Lagrimas | Lifestyle editor
Lagrimas is the 2022-2023 lifestyle editor. She was previously an Arts contributor from 2021-2022. She is also a second-year communication and political science student from Temecula, California.