UCPD increases patrols amid investigation of attempted robberies, kidnapping

The UCLA police building is pictured. UCPD is investigating attempted robberies and kidnappings that happened Feb. 5 and increasing security around parking structures. (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matthew Royer

UCPD is continuing to investigate multiple on-campus attempted robberies and kidnappings that took place Feb. 5.

Patrols were increased around UCLA Parking Structure 1 and Parking Structure 7, the sites of the incidents, officials said.

UCPD officials added that they also increased patrols at the other UCLA parking structures as well as Gayley Avenue and Charles E Young Drive.

UCPD released a sketch of the suspect Feb. 16 with the assistance of the victims and asked that anyone who recognizes the suspect provide information to the presiding detective or the anonymous tip line.

In both cases, the suspect allegedly held the victims, who are UCLA students, captive and threatened to take them to another location. The victims also claimed that the suspect said he was armed.

Officials described the suspect as a Black man around 25 to 40 years old with a slim build and short dark hair. He was also seen wearing a dark blue shirt and light blue jeans. According to UCPD’s update, a witness later recalled seeing someone who resembled the suspect wearing a puffy black jacket with the right sleeve removed. The suspect also held an orange or red blanket with him during the second incident.

This case is still under investigation. Anyone with information can call UCPD at 310-825-1491 or the UCLA Police Department Anonymous Reporting Line at 310-794-5824.

Matthew Royer | National news and higher education editor
Royer is the 2023-2024 national news and higher education editor. He is also a Sports staff writer on the men’s soccer and softball beats. He was previously the 2022-2023 city and crime editor and a contributor on the features and student life beat. He is also a fourth-year political science student minoring in labor studies from West Hills, California.