UC reaches tentative deal with UAW 2865, SRU-UAW negotiators

United Auto Workers strikers protest around the Inverted Fountain. Academic student employees and graduate student researchers will vote on a tentative contract with the University of California next week. (Alice Yang/Daily Bruin)

By Catherine Hamilton

Dec. 17, 2022 10:03 a.m.

Academic student employees and graduate student researchers represented by the United Auto Workers union reached a tentative contract deal with the University of California on Friday.

The tentative agreement comes as the union ends its fifth week striking. UAW 2865 and SRU-UAW, which represent academic student employees such as teaching assistants and graduate student researchers, agreed to enter private third-party negotiations with the UC on Dec. 9. Negotiations have since been mediated by mayor of Sacramento and former UAW member Darrell Steinberg. 

[Related: UAW agrees to involve third-party mediation in bargaining process with UC]

The tentative agreement includes a new salary scale and childcare compensation for both groups. It also includes coverage of nonresident supplemental tuition for up to three years for candidates in degree programs and will match graduate student researcher trainees and fellows’ salaries to the wage scale, according to a UC press release

Additionally, the UAW’s claims of unfair labor practices against the University will be dropped if the contract is ratified, according to the UC press release.

All members of UAW 2865 and SRU-UAW will vote on ratification of the tentative contract Monday through Friday of next week, according to a UAW press release. They will remain on strike until a new contract is ratified, according to a tweet from UAW 2865. 

Separately, postdoctoral scholars and academic researchers represented by UAW 5810 ratified a contract with the UC on Dec. 10 and subsequently ended their strike.

[Related: Postdocs, academic researchers end strike after ratifying new contract with UC]

“Our union’s membership is the highest decision-making body, and it is now up to all members to vote on this tentative agreement,” said Rafael Jaime, the president of UAW 2865 and an English doctoral student, in the UAW press release.

Catherine Hamilton | News editor
Hamilton is the 2023-2024 News editor and a Copy staff member. She was previously the 2022-2023 national news and higher education beat editor and a national news contributor. She is also a third-year gender studies and political science student minoring in professional writing.