Friday, Dec. 2, 2022

UC Academic Worker StrikesNative American Heritage Month2022 Midterm Elections

UCLA announces return to on-campus operations once heat wave passes

John Wooden Center, pictured. Admin (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Shaanth Kodialam

Administrative Vice Chancellor Michael Beck announced in a campuswide email Wednesday that UCLA plans to return to full on-campus operations Sept. 12.

The announcement came after a Monday campuswide email notified Bruins that several buildings would temporarily be receiving limited to no air conditioning, encouraging some classes to be held remotely instead.

[Related: UCLA announces some campus activities will occur remotely due to extreme heat]

The recent wave of extreme heat – featuring record-breaking temperatures in Southern California and expected to last until Sept. 9 – has strained the campus’ cooling facilities, which rely on chilled water, Beck said in the email. He added it was necessary to reduce the demand for this water in non-critical facilities.

Beck said in the email curtailing several cooling systems has been effective in allowing UCLA to continue to provide essential services at UCLA Ronald Reagan Hospital and other sensitive labs, research facilities and teaching spaces.

Beck also said in the email UCLA is working to avoid further limiting campus operations, adding efforts to monitor cooling water temperatures will continue.

“We acknowledge that this has been a significant inconvenience for those who normally work, learn or teach in the buildings where operations are curtailed this week,” he said in the email. “We thank you for your cooperation and support in this endeavor.”

Shaanth Kodialam | Features and student life editor
Kodialam is the 2022-2023 features and student life editor. They were previously a News reporter for national news and higher education and features and student life. They are a second-year communication and geography student.
Condo/Townhouse for Sale

1 Bedroom & 1 Bathroom condo in an excellent location in Westwood.1300 Midvale Ave Unit 409 Open living room is met by a kitchen which boasts floor-to-ceiling cabinets and a separated dining area. Master bedroom is bright and equipped with hefty closet space.The recently remodeled master bathroom includes a double vanity, bathtub and shower. The unit also comes with its very own private very large balcony!The building also includes a pool, spa, recreation room, gym, laundry room on each floor, subterranean community garage parking, and sun deck! Please Noushin Ahobim (310)-863-4325 or [email protected]