What is a green franchise and should you open one?

Lush green pastoral Lakeland landscape with grazing livestock and rolling hills, United Kingdom

By Adriana Conte

After COP26, environmental issues are firmly back on the agenda. It is now clearer than ever that we need to act collectively to rescue the planet from dangerous ecological catastrophes in the decades to come.

One way to do that is to change the way that we do business. We need to exploit fewer of the Earth’s natural resources while still offering customers value.

Green franchises to buy in the UK are an innovation moving the business community in this direction. But what are they, exactly? And should you open one?

What is a green franchise?

A green franchise is any company (in any industry) operating on a franchise model looking to reduce or eliminate its impact on the environment. Such enterprises fall on a spectrum. Some may slightly modify their operations to be more sustainable, while others may adopt wholly new business models, fundamentally departing from standard practices.

Figuring out whether a business is a green franchise can be a little challenging. There are no set guidelines or definitions for what constitutes an eco-friendly business. Often, it is the prerogative of the franchise itself to declare that it is green. This means that care franchises, plumbing franchises, fitness franchises and cleaning franchises can all market themselves as running eco-friendly operations.

The approach franchisees take to green franchises is similar to conventional franchises. They still need to follow the procedures and branding requirements of the franchise as a whole. However, there are some differences. For instance, they may need to follow sustainable or environmentally-friendly protocols that similar businesses do not require.

How to ensure that a green franchise is eco-friendly

There are several ways that you can ensure that a green franchise is genuinely eco-friendly (and not just “greenwashing”) to attract interest.

They provide goods and services that benefit the environment

The first sign you’re dealing with a green franchise is that they sell goods and services that benefit (or don’t harm) the environment. Good examples include companies that sell organic products or environmentally-friendly paint. Furthermore, if a company is committed to selling sustainable products and services, they generally invest in making their operations more eco-friendly.

Start by checking how the company makes its products. Look for indications that it is looking for ways to reduce its impact on the environment or cut resources use.

Investigate the culture too. Do staff care about recycling and minimizing waste, or does the brand have a throw-away culture?

You can also find out whether the company is ISO 14001 certified. If it is, it means that it meets certain environmental criteria.

They strive to go green

In many cases, the most sustainable companies don’t try to advertise their efforts to reduce their impact on the environment. They don’t do it for the marketing perks. Instead, it is just something that they get on and do.

See whether the franchise involves itself with community organisations or charities committed to combating climate change and other ecological issues. Look for evidence that it engages in carbon offset schemes.

They are specific about their eco-friendliness

Another sign that a franchise is serious about the environment is that it sets highly specific targets. Many, for instance, use the Greenhouse Gas Protocol. This is an emissions accounting standard that shows anyone precisely how much CO2 (and equivalents) the business is emitting. They may also have numerical targets such as getting water, gas or electricity consumption below a specific threshold.

Why should you own a green franchise?

Entrepreneurs who own green franchises can benefit in two main ways.

First, they get a sense of fulfillment from the knowledge that they are running an enterprise that is kind to people, wildlife and the planet as a whole. Many green franchise owners take great pride in their work, doing their bit to keep the Earth habitable for future generations. Their customers often praise them for the good work they do.

Second, owning a green franchise can be highly lucrative. A large percentage of consumers want green products and are willing to pay a premium to get them. Just like green franchise owners, they need to feel like they are doing their bit to protect the planet.

Many green franchise owners sell zero-emission, sustainable or organic products. While these are more expensive than their conventional counterparts, they invariably offer customers better value for money. In most cases, the cost-benefit calculation works in your favour.

Examples of green franchise opportunities

There are many examples of green franchises that you could join.

Pet grooming supplies

Green pet grooming franchises are booming. These offer eco-friendly pet washing services (using sustainable products).

Solar panel contractors

Solar panel suppliers also offer green services, helping homeowners move over to CO2-free power generation.

House cleaning

There are some eco-friendly maid service franchises too. Like pet grooming operations, these use eco-friendly products instead of conventional commercial cleaning supplies.

Adriana Conte | Alumna
Conte joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2018 and contributed until 2019. She spent time on the women's basketball beat.