University of California to welcome most diverse admit class in fall 2021

The University of California admitted the most diverse group of freshmen students and a record number of transfer students for fall 2021, the UC Office of the President announced Monday. (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Anushka Chakrabarti

July 19, 2021 11:35 a.m.

This post was updated July 25 at 7:58 p.m.

The University of California admitted its most diverse group of students for fall 2021 entry.  

According to a UC Office of the President press release, 43% of admitted California freshmen are of racial and ethnic minority groups. 

Despite the COVID-19 pandemic, the UC saw a 11% increase in freshman admissions systemwide over 2020. However, UCLA’s overall admission rate dropped to 10.7% this year from 14.4% in 2020. 

Of California freshmen admitted throughout the UC system, Chicano/Latino students made up 37% – up nearly 9% since 2020 – and admission of African American students rose by 15.6% since 2020. First-generation California freshmen stayed consistent with previous years, making up 45% of students admitted. 

The number of Pacific Islander freshman students admitted rose by nearly 60% compared to 2020, but these students still compose less than 1% of the total admitted freshmen. The number of American Indian freshmen admitted remained consistent with past years, rising from 63 students to 73, making up 1% of the total admitted freshman.

Additionally, the UC system admitted the largest class of California community college transfer students this year, 53% of whom are first-generation college students. 

However, UCLA admitted a total of 5,305 transfer students, almost a 16% decrease in admitted transfer students compared to 2020. 

Of the transfer students admitted, 6% were African American, 1% were American Indian, 28% were Chicano/Latino students and less than 1% were Pacific Islander students. 

For the 2021 application year, the UC suspended its use of standardized testing in admission decisions. 

[RELATED LINK: University of California announces it will not use SAT, ACT in admissions decisions]

The University also provided several temporary admission accommodations including suspending the letter-grade requirement for high school classes taken during either specific terms or the full 2020-2021 academic year or during the winter, spring or summer terms of 2020.

Anushka Chakrabarti | News editor
Chakrabarti is currently the 2021-2022 News editor. She was previously the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the science and health beat, and she was a former contributor for online. She is also a third-year mathematics and economics student at UCLA.