Tips for Time Management in College

By Adriana Conte

May 19, 2021 at 2:51 p.m.

Time is a finite resource. Sometimes, 24 hours in a day just does not seem like enough to accomplish everything you need to do. Managing your time in college is no simple task, and balancing school, work, and a social life can seem overwhelming. Yet, academic and personal success rests on the ability to manage your time effectively to avoid stress and procrastination. While time management can be difficult, it will become one of the key determinants to an enjoyable college experience and success in life. 

Here are several tips to help improve your time management skills. Following these tips will mitigate work-induced stress, allow you to meet deadlines, and ensure that you also have enough time for yourself while pursuing a college degree.

1. Stay organized

Organization skills are crucial, both in the academic setting and the professional world. Having an organized workspace allows you to quickly be able to find anything you need, thus reducing time spent looking for class materials. Organizing your papers and assignments by class using folders or separate files can help ensure you know where everything is and not lose any of your work. Writing everything down in a planner is also a great way to stay organized and plan out your days efficiently.

2. Create to-do lists and keep a calendar of dates

To-do lists and calendars are very effective tools in helping you keep track of important dates, such as homework assignments, exams, and meetings. You can prioritize your to-do-list however works best for you, whether that be based on importance, due date, or how much time it will take you to complete each task. A helpful tip is to divide your list into things to do now, and things to do later. This will help you be realistic in your planning and divide work across time, rather than leaving it all for one day. Being able to check these off as you complete them will make you feel satisfied and accomplished, and it will give you the boost of motivation to stick with this time-management plan.

3. Identify time-wasters and avoid distractions

Set aside some time to think about what distractors are present in your life, and how these affect your time management. Do you check social media while doing work? How much time does this take away? Do you find yourself easily distracted when working in social environments? Whatever it may be, identify these time-wasters and try your best to avoid them when you are trying to get work done efficiently. While distraction is inevitable, don’t let them get in the way of tasks that should come first. Set yourself up for success by putting yourself in environments where you know you can finish everything you need to do in the time you have allotted.

4. Set goals for yourself, and reward yourself when you achieve those goals

Setting goals and rewarding yourself for meeting them is an important aspect of practicing time management. Perhaps every time you check an item off of your to-do list, you can reward yourself with a few minutes of personal time. Or when you finish a big project or assignment, you can celebrate by going out with friends. No matter what it may be, make sure you are rewarding yourself for both the small and the big achievements.

5. Only do one thing at a time

Focus your energy on one thing at a time, rather than trying to do multiple things at once. While multitasking can be useful in some situations, focusing your attention on a single task has been proven to increase productivity and quality of work. If possible, try to completely finish one task before moving on to the next.

6. Learn to delegate tasks and ask for help

It is important to know when you have too much on your plate, and when you may need to ask for help. There is no shame in delegating tasks to others, and this is an important skill that will help you later in life as well. Whether that is asking a friend to run some errands for you while they are out, or asking your roommates to help you with household chores during a busy week, asking for help will clear space on your schedule for other important tasks. Freeing up more time by having others assist you will reduce your stress and allow you more time to complete what you need to do.

7. Take advantage of the resources available at your university

Be sure to utilize the resources you have at your university if you are feeling overwhelmed and having a hard time adjusting to the rigors of college life. Everyone wants you to succeed, so don’t hesitate to seek additional help from university resources if you are becoming too overwhelmed! Many universities offer both peer-to-peer and faculty support. If sticking to these tips isdifficult for you, you can also ask your counselors for guidance on what techniques may work best for you to manage your time effectively.

To see Santa Monica College’s student support services, including academic guidance, please visit this webpage.

Read more stories like this: