UCLA softball’s Megan Faraimo throws perfect game to defeat San Diego State

Redshirt sophomore pitcher Megan Faraimo pitched a complete five innings en route to her first career perfect game. Retiring 15 straight batters, Faraimo tallied five strikeouts in just 64 pitches as No. 1 UCLA softball picked up its second mercy-rule victory on the season. (Sabrina Wu/Daily Bruin)

Softball

San Diego State0

By Cassidy Hunt

Megan Faraimo said she doesn’t like it when she realizes she is throwing a no-hitter because she usually jinxes it.

“I could feel it happening, but in the last inning I told myself that it was time to get over the curse,’” the redshirt sophomore pitcher said. “I knew that if I could just finish out this game, then it would all be fine.”

No. 1 UCLA softball (6-0) handed San Diego State (5-1) its first loss of the season by mercy rule Wednesday afternoon, winning 14-0 after five innings. Faraimo faced and retired 15 batters en route to her third-career no-hitter, first-career perfect game and the 19th perfect game in Bruin softball history.

After recording one run in the first frame, UCLA picked up the pace in the second inning, sending 11 batters to the box, forcing a pitching change and recording seven runs – including a three-run blast to right field from redshirt junior infielder Delanie Wisz.

The home run was the first of two Wisz would hit against the Aztecs.

“We are at our best when we are going through our lineup and we can’t even tell who the top, bottom or middle is,” said coach Kelly Inouye-Perez. “Days like today allow us to see almost every Bruin that was capable of playing. You could really see our depth, versatility and talent.”

UCLA’s bats stayed hot in the third inning when, after a triple from redshirt junior infielder Briana Perez scored two for the Bruins, freshman outfielder LaurynCarter hit a two-run home run over the left field wall in her first career at-bat to increase the Bruins’ lead to 12.

Carter said she felt good as she approached her premiere trip to the batter’s box.

“Going up to bat, I was really confident,” Carter said. “I knew the pitcher was something I could hit, and I knew as long as I stick to the same technique, I would do great. I went up and did what I could do, which turned out to be my best.”

Overall, Bruins reached home safely in each inning and recorded seven extra-base hits in the win. Faraimo recorded five strikeouts, threw just 64 pitches and had a 67.2 strike percentage.

But Inouye-Perez said the team tries not to focus on the statistics.

“Our goal is always just to throw the last punch,” Inouye-Perez said. “I don’t want to have a sense that we are way ahead, or that weare coming from behind, it’s more about whether we can compete and win every inning of a ball game. I think we did and that really helps our focus.”

Next, UCLA will cross state lines for the first time all season to face Oregon in Tempe on Sunday in its first matchups against a Pac-12 opponent this season.

Cassidy Hunt | Sports staff
Hunt is currently a Sports staff writer on the softball and women's soccer beats. She was previously a reporter on the gymnastics, women's water polo and swim & dive beats.