Q&A: Lead actors of ‘All My Life’ reflect on movie’s message and impact

(Courtesy of Universal Pictures)

By Matthew Chu

A romantic drama about living through grief arrived at a timely moment.

Released through video on demand services Dec. 23 of last year, “All My Life” tells the true story of Jennifer Carter (Jessica Rothe) and Solomon Chau (Harry Shum Jr.), a newly engaged couple whose future looks dire after Solomon receives a diagnosis for terminal liver cancer. But with the support of loyal friends, an online fundraiser and the will to persevere, they decide to accelerate their wedding date, cherishing whatever time they have together to the end.

At a virtual roundtable organized by NBCUniversal, the Daily Bruin’s Matthew Chu and other college journalists from across the country spoke with Shum Jr. and Rothe about their roles in “All My Life,” which was filmed one year ago. The actors discussed honoring the real-life couple they portrayed on-screen and the film’s retrospective meaning amid a time of widespread illness and grieving.

Daily Bruin: In conversations with the real-life Jenn Carter, was there anything she shared with you that helped you get into the emotions and personality of your characters?

Harry Shum Jr.: Jenn was just such a tremendous help for her generosity and also her openness to share her stories, pictures and videos. One thing that struck me is (how) pictures and videos say so much of not just what people are doing, but you can tell by the little moments how someone was and how they interacted with people and that was really helpful to get to know Sol a little better.

Also, Jess had a conversation with Jenn about the portrayal of them in the movie and not making it feel like we had to mimic them or find mannerisms to put on the film. It was more about giving us a little more freedom to be able to just connect with each other.

Riley Farrell (Editor-in-Chief of The Odyssey): During a year like 2020, this movie felt really personal in its exploration of illness and grief. What statement is your film making about sharing in suffering?

Jessica Rothe: One of the things that drew me to this project, and I think Harry as well, is the incredible sense of community that the film has, both in the relationship between Jenn and Sol – this beautiful friendship that blossomed into something more – but also the love of friends and family. We are so much stronger when we band together and when we lead with our love for other people. And especially in this year of so much difficulty and heartache and isolation for so many people, (All My Life) is very timely … and I hope that people can find solace in that and have compassion for themselves and other people.

Veronica Chang (Deputy Arts Editor of The Chicago Maroon): How do you think “All My Life” stands out from other on-screen depictions of cancer?

JR: Our film really explores all the facets of being a person who is diagnosed with cancer and also the loved one who is there to support someone who is diagnosed with cancer. (Cancer) doesn’t stop you from being a human, from planning a wedding, from having a silly night with your loved ones or from getting in a fight. It’s not who you are. It’s an aspect of something that you are going through. I think it’s very easy, understandably, for a lot of films that deal with cancer to feel pretty depressing and bleak, so I love that (our film is different).

VC: (For Harry) what did it mean for you to be an Asian guy and be able to be the lead in a romantic Hollywood film?

HS: I feel very lucky and honored, but also I’d be lying if I didn’t say it’s about damn time. Not just for me, but if it was someone else that got to fill this role, I would be championing it and getting behind it. I think when we start learning about the history of why we have to celebrate something like this … it’s important that we’re not erasing people (in favor) of whatever makes a certain industry (feel) comfortable.

I hope this continues so that more people can see themselves on-screen – not just as a face but as a whole human and get to play characters that are complex and not oversimplified. So I’m grateful to be in this position, and I hope that it does not stop here.

Rebecca Carcieri (Staff Writer from The Brown Daily Herald): (What were) some of the lessons you learned from acting in this role and how you might plan on implementing that into your future?

HS: We had this really emotional scene where Jenn is reading a eulogy to Sol. I remember (in) that moment, I just felt a little bit of what it would feel like having someone read something to you knowing that those might be the last words you might hear. But knowing how the film shaped in the end, (we were) still finding some silver linings and uplifting moments that came from even thinking of the memory of someone – something you can laugh about knowing you at least had those moments (which can) hopefully help you move forward in your life.

How you connect with other people in your life is something that I continue to (take away from the film) – whether it be hugging my wife or my daughter or even my friends that I sometimes took for granted, not sending a text or giving (a) phone call. And now I do it (to) the point of maybe annoyance. But that’s really what I took away, not taking little moments for granted.

Matthew Chu