UCLA implements weekly COVID-19 testing for people who attend class, work on campus

Students, faculty and staff who visit campus at least once a week need to take regular compulsory COVID-19 tests. Other members of the UCLA community are recommended to test often, and UCLA will start a mobile testing service to facilitate community testing. (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Shruti Iyer

This post was updated Nov. 1 at 7:50 p.m.

UCLA requires students, faculty and staff on campus to receive weekly COVID-19 tests starting Monday.

People who visit campus at least once a week, except for those who work for UCLA Health, will have to schedule weekly COVID-19 tests, according to an Oct. 22 campuswide email from Michael Beck, the administrative vice chancellor, Monroe Gorden Jr., the vice chancellor for student affairs and Michael Levine, the vice chancellor for academic personnel.

People can take tests at the Covel Commons Grand Horizon Ballroom on the Hill and Collins Court in the Wooden Center at Bruin Plaza, the email said.

The testing is mandatory for students, faculty and staff regularly visiting campus for classes and work or living in university housing, the email said. The email recommended that students living near campus who are not subject to mandatory testing get tested weekly anyway. The tests are free, the email said.

[Related link: UCLA to offer free COVID-19 tests to all students at Ashe Center]

UCLA will send weekly reminders to schedule testing through text, email or work supervisors, the email said. Reports of noncompliance will be sent to the dean of students, Academic Personnel office and Campus Human Resources.

UCLA plans to launch a mobile testing unit in November so that students can receive tests without having to travel to campus, the email said. The mobile unit will be available at a convenient campus location on weekdays until 6 p.m., the email added.

Students can register and schedule appointments online, the email said. It added that tests are self-administered and test results are made available between 24 and 48 hours after the test.

There are 322 confirmed cases within the UCLA community, as of Oct. 26.

Shruti Iyer | Assistant News editor
Iyer is the current Science and Health editor and a reporter for News. She is also an Illustrator and Graphics contributor. She was previously a contributor for the Science and Health beat. She is a third year astrophysics student at UCLA who enjoys writing Physics and Astronomy research articles and drawing accompanying artwork.