UCLA Health ranked first in California and LA, fourth nationwide by annual report

UCLA Health campuses ranked first in both California and Los Angeles for the second consecutive year. UCLA Health also ranked fourth nationwide according to the U.S. News & World Report, rising from the sixth spot in last year’s rankings. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Shruti Iyer and Noah Danesh

UCLA Health was ranked first in California and fourth nationwide in the U.S. News & World Report rankings released Tuesday.

The UCLA Health campuses in Westwood and Santa Monica maintained their number one rank for the second consecutive year in California and in Los Angeles in the annual ranking report.

UCLA Health rose from sixth to fourth place in the national rankings since last year.

UCLA has appeared on the U.S. News & World Report’s national honor roll for 31 consecutive years, according to a UCLA press release. The national honor roll is a distinction reserved for 20 hospitals that meet the criteria of providing high quality care across multiple departments, treatments and conditions.

Johnese Spisso, president of UCLA Health and CEO of the UCLA Hospital System, said in the press release that she is inspired daily by the medical staff’s dedication to providing excellent health care.

“I am incredibly proud of the work that our team members do each and every day to make a difference in the lives of patients and their families.” Spisso added.

The report looked at over 4,500 hospitals in the United States.

U.S. News evaluated the quality of sixteen subspecialties of hospital care. Twelve of these subspecialities – which include cancer, cardiology, and gastrointestinal surgery – are assessed by data on patient outcomes, patient experience and a survey from physicians.

The other four specialities – which include psychiatry and rehabilitation – are based on surveys from physicians.

Thirteen of the 16 subspecialties at UCLA Health placed in the top 10 in their respective fields, including geriatrics and nephrology, which both ranked third.

“We pride ourselves on providing the best possible care to each patient, no matter the circumstances – from routine checkups in our community clinics to complex procedures in our hospitals,” said John Mazziotta, vice chancellor for UCLA Health Sciences and CEO of UCLA Health, in the press release.

Shruti Iyer | Assistant News editor
Iyer is the current Science and Health editor and a reporter for News. She is also an Illustrator and Graphics contributor. She was previously a contributor for the Science and Health beat. She is a third year astrophysics student at UCLA who enjoys writing Physics and Astronomy research articles and drawing accompanying artwork.